RE: MD all of society's ills

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 23:29:16 GMT

    Matt, Steve and y'all:

    Matt said to Steve:
    ..............You think spiritual change for everyone must occur before
    material change is to happen for everyone. I think material change for
    everyone must occur before spiritual change is to happen for everyone.

    Matt said to Steve:
    You see, I keep switching the ground to the perspective of the poor because
    that's where the problem is. Those may all be pertinent questions for the
    rich and lazy, but they seem pretty stupid for the poor and destitute. You
    don't see this problem because you think that there aren't many poor people.

    DMB says:
    I think the egg had to come first, then the chicken. Just kidding. I'd like
    to clear up what seems to me a confusion here. I can't speak for Steve, but
    I think the idea is that spiritual change among the comfortable middle and
    upper classes would lead to more compassionate policies toward the poor and
    disadvantaged classes. I don't think anyone is suggesting that those on the
    margins give up their food stamps for prayer matts or that spiritual
    development is can proceed easily in spite of the stresses and pressures of
    poverty. I think the idea is that our material reality is a reflection of
    our state of spiritual development. This idea is buried in Marxism, where it
    is not economics that drives history, but the technical means of production.
    For Marx the ages were marked by advances in technology, which were then
    appropriated by a few individuals and turned into wealth. Behind this
    dialectical materialism is the notion that history proceeds according to our
    know-how. The idea that material reality reflects the state of our
    consciousness is not very far away, even if the emphasis is shifted from
    materialism to spirituality.

    In short, its not that the poor need to develop spiritually, although that's
    probably true in many cases too, its that if the rest of us were more
    evolved there would be more justice and less proverty in the first place.

    Thanks,
    DMB