RE: MD A little bit of Logic

From: Nick Clair (nclair@webxsol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 03:04:25 BST

            To be sexist isn't to favor one gender to the other. It isn't to
    think that one gender is superior or weaker than the other. To be sexist
    is simply to divide the world by sex.
            Everyone has a set of characteristics that makes up themselves
    and a lot of people tend to divide the world by one of these
    characteristics. Some people see race, some people see social status,
    some people see gender ect.
            You divide the world one way you get groups of people that may
    not have much in common other than that one characteristic. You divide
    the world by another characteristic and people go into different groups
    with people they wouldn't be with in another group.
            To say "women aren't treated equally" is to divide the world by
    gender. Some women have trouble in society, some don't. Some tall people
    have trouble in society, some don't but you would say "tall people
    aren't treated equally".
            There is only one woman on this group? How many short people are
    on here? How many people with brown hair? How many Toyota owners? What
    other groups aren't fairly represented?
            There are just people here. We all have our own characteristics.
    Some people might be tall here, some might be Jamaican, some might have
    short hair. I think everyone should have equal say no matter which set
    of sex organs you happen to have.

    Nick Clair