MD A little bit of Logic

From: MarshaV (marshalz@i-2000.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 11:35:22 BST

    When I was early married, there were times when my husband and I would
    disagree. During those times when we would try to promote our different
    opinions, my husband would eventually say, "You're not being
    logical!'. The statement would usually stop me in my tracks. I was a
    woman, women are not logical, therefore, I was not logical. I was
    stuck. I thought.

    So,what to do? I signed up for an undergraduate class: Symbolic Logic and
    Formal Reasoning. (I had already taken a few philosophy classes.) The
    class was great, and I went on to read a number of different books on
    reason, thinking and even the 'scientific method'. It was all absolutely
    fascinating, but there were also some flaws.

    I began listening to people, educated and uneducated. My experience was
    that very few people in their normal lives, both home and
    social/professional, both male and female, use 'formal logic'. The case
    that most people (male or female) use to present their perspective includes
    lots of stuff other than logic.

    There is lots of LOGIC used on this elist. It's all extremely
    interesting. But if it's not a tool that humanity really uses, how does
    any of this apply to 'living a life'??? I doubt that most people (West)
    ever have considered making life choices based on Quality. (Maybe religion
    tries to guide them, but....) If you're not looking to disseminate a
    useful philosophy, what are you trying to do?

    Where are the women? If there are no women on this list, is it because
    they have not felt invited? Have you been intimidating? Do you really
    think their voice is not valuable? Do you think they do not seek quality,
    or Quality? Do you think Quality would exclude the
    feminine/Feminine? Where are the women on this list?

    MarshaV