Re: MD Question of the Ages - promise

From: Erin (macavity11@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 20:38:34 BST

    Wim Nusselder <wim.nusselder@antenna.nl> wrote:
    Dear Marsha,

    I'm sorry. I don't agree with the moral you give (15 Oct 2004
    05:34:48 -0400) to your tale (of 13 Oct 2004 01:35:56 -0400).

    For me the moral is, that everyone (men and women) wants to be pleasant,
    except ... that they want/need even more that their autonomy is respected.
    Everyone becomes a monster when denied this. Everyone becomes pleasant when
    in charge of her/his own life.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim

    I like your moral. I think the only thing that I am not sure if I agree if it was something "denied" or as Chuck said "given" by another. The control was always hers--- the only thing that was "denied" or "given" was recognition that it was hers.
    I think that is maybe why the moral was stated as no matter what she looks like she is still a witch because she is in control whether another (or she herself) realizes it or not, so whether she acts pleasantly or not will offer different appearances to others but it is not nessearily the case that the pleasant she was in control and the repulsive was because of a loss of control.

    I think repulsive acts are easier to swallow if you think that person wasn't in control--e.g. temporary insanity plea in court but the question is it true? Some even claim that we control when we die!

    I was just reading about hypnosis where it is described all hypnosis is self-hypnosis, you don't give up control as many people believe-- under hypnosis you may cluck like a chicken but you won't do something that is against your immorals like kill that chicken if you are into animal rights :-)

    Erin