Re: MD John Peel, DJ

From: Adam Watt (adamwatt@mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 05:31:03 BST

    Just feel like rambling slightly in agreement with Jim and Horse.

    Usually, the death of someone in the media spotlight is not the cause
    of any more sadness than that of any other I never personally knew. At
    best.. Today though, was a rare an exception. A sad thing happened. Did
    anyone not like Peel? I don't know, but I don't know anyone that didn't
    either. He was a welcome presence throughout my whole life. Without
    him, there's so many records I would never have heard, artists I would
    never have known, and as a consequence, experiences I would never have
    had. The value he placed on originality and honesty in music, and his
    obvious love of it, had an immeasurable effect on culture as a whole.
    That maybe seems an overstatement, but I don't think so.
    He had the best voice and sense of humour, was consistently honest,
    intelligent, and perhaps most rare of all, always real. He leaves a gap
    that wasn't there before he was, and that won't be filled. A good man.

    Mark, most non-Europeans I know are only familiar with the diverse
    'Peel sessions' series of LP's of live recordings from the shows (if
    anything). Todays Guardian has a lot of stuff about him.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/

    I like this older article in particular

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review/story/0,,362115,00.html

    Adam