Re: MD On Faith

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 23:40:27 BST

    Hi Erin,

    I don't want to leave you with the impression that I've dismissed
    your question; I'm just not sure what question you are talking about.

    Let me recap: The question of whether or not Quality exists is
    demonstrated affirmative any time any one makes a Quality judgment;
    it doesn't matter whether it's the wall-guy's decision or the
    painting-person's. So I thought that question was settled.

    But then comes the next question: Why do people sometimes disagree
    about the objects in which Quality resides? I suggested that this
    might be because they bring to their evaluations different bases of
    experience, but that these bases may be broadened (on both sides) by
    engaging in an honest exchange of ideas and experience, perhaps
    resulting in a closing of the gap between their quality judgements.

    The example you offer of Erin and the Scientist doesn't show an
    honest exchange of ideas and experiences, as neither person makes an
    attempt to share why they make the judgements they do.

    Anyway, sorry if I seemed overly sensitive. I have to be stingy with
    my time and energy, and I was getting the idea that you weren't
    spending as much energy reading my posts as I was in writing them.
    Just a cost-benefit analysis kinda thing...

    I've enjoyed our discussion very much.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'