Re: MD Where does quality reside?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 13:15:34 GMT

    > msh writes:
    >
    > > He then goes on to say that Quality, in fact, is the ultimate ONE,
    > > and that subjects and objects are created by it. This is the
    > > Quality that becomes the fundamental reality of the MOQ he attempts
    > > to define in LILA.

    P:
    > The ultimate ONE sounds God-like to me.

    > msh says:
    > Yes. Similar, I'd say, but without all those troublesome human
    > projections: Not loving or caring, but not hateful either, or
    > cunning or vengeful; without expectations or desire; without
    > opinions: no favored people or nations or baseball teams. Nothing to kill
    > or die for.

    Pirsig is clear that DQ (the creative side of Quality) does care and has a
    burning desire for -- freedom.

    "Dynamic Quality is the pre-intellectual cutting edge of realty, the
    source of all things, completely simple and always new. It was the moral
    force that had motivated the brujo in Zuni. It contains no pattern of
    fixed rewards and punishments. Its only perceived good is freedom and its
    only perceived evil is static quality itself-any pattern of one-sided
    fixed values that tries to contain and kill the ongoing free force of
    life." (Lila, 9)

    A moral force for freedom . . . something millions have died for, and
    continue to do so to this day.

    Platt