Re: MD On Faith

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 11:48:29 GMT

    Hi DMB,

    It's the weekend, good to have you back.

    > dmb says:
    > I really don't get it. Isn't the one making the claim responsible for making
    > that claim clear and credible? Don't we all have to back up what we're
    > saying? Do I fail to back up and explain what I'm saying?
    >
    > I'm sure it feels good to recommend a book, especially to a friend who will
    > thoroughly enjoy it. But your "advice" give me a distinctly different
    > impression, gents. You are positively dripping with condescension. The
    > suggestion that I'm hopelessly trapped in ignorance until I've read certain
    > books or mastered certain fields is ridiculously out of proportion.

    Pot? Kettle? Black? I've actually been feeling a bit guilty about some things I said last weekend.
    If nothing else, I think they lacked charity, which is a serious charge. So, apologies for
    condescension etc. I shall try and amend my ways. Are you prepared to do likewise?

    > I'm only
    > asking that your posts make sense. I'm only asking to do your best to
    > persuade me that your assertions have some validity. This ploy of telling me
    > to take up theology strikes me as an evasion of the task requited of you,
    > rather than a real criticism of me. I've taken a different appraoch to the
    > same topic and have a basis of my view, which I share. But apparently you
    > guys have nothing comparable. Apparently, there is no basis for faith but
    > faith itself so you guys are trying to get me to indoctrinate myself, to
    > hypnotize myself with theology. Tell me just one thing (cause I'm soooo
    > ignorant), doesn't theology BEGIN with assumptions I've already rejected?
    > Maybe Pirsig would drop the whole MOQ thing and go back to SOM if he'd only
    > read more Hume, eh? He's rejecting it becasue he's ignorant right? I jest,
    > but you see the point, no?

    Well, you're confusing an understanding of theology with the adoption of a faith stance. It is
    possible to be conversant with theological language and reject what it represents, which is exactly
    what Scott is arguing. I really don't know how to make that point any more clearly than I have
    already (or, more precisely, than he has already). Lots of other people seem to have understood the
    point.

    As for explaining theology, we've done an awful lot of that already. But we could go round the block
    again if you like.

    > dmb said:
    > Why should a person have to become familiar with an entire branch of human
    > knowledge just to understand the meaning of a word?
    >
    > Sam replied:
    > Of course you need to become familiar with an area before you can understand
    > it.
    >
    > dmb says:
    > ARRRG! As I understand, the claim is that Pirsig's idea of faith as a
    > willness to believe falsehoods, which is also the common meaning of the
    > word, is not the correct or christian meaning of the word.

    I dispute that this is the 'common meaning of the word'.

    >This naturally
    > raises the question, "well then, what does it mean"? And so far most of the
    > answers to this question have been a blur of nonsense and insults. And I
    > resent the suggenstion that the lack of any coherent response has been
    > construed so that its my fault. What do you mean by faith? Those are six
    > short words and they compose a simple question. I don't want to read a stack
    > of books to find support for a claim I did not make and am in fact in the
    > process of disputing.

    Well, I referenced my answer to Erin, and as you seem to have missed it, I'll reproduce it here: