Re: MD Where does quality reside?

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 03:46:38 GMT

    On 31 Oct 2004 at 17:58, Sam Norton wrote:
    msh says:
    As soon as you say that Quality has preferences, (if you mean it
    literally, not poetically), you've already personified Quality.
    Once you've made that personification, I guess there's no reason to
    avoid saying that Quality is the God of Abraham and Isaac, and yada
    yada yada. But this leap, for me, doesn't answer the mystery of
    existence; it merely adds another layer of clutter to my ontological
    closet.

    This made me smile. One of the main axioms in the Christian mystical
    tradition is that everything we say about God is a) an analogy and b)
    breaks down when pushed. So, in a very literal sense, when Christians
    say that God cares, they don't know what they're talking about. I
    think we have a large measure of agreement on this.

    msh says:
    Hi Sam. You may be right, about our measure of agreement. However,
    In doing my homework on Witt, I was tickled to be reminded that he, a
    closet Catholic, was a student of Bertrand (Why I Am Not A Christian)
    Russell's. Its interesting that Witt is your favorite philosopher
    and Russell is mine.

    Later,
    Mark
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'