Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 22:28:04 GMT

    MSH, Ian:

    ph:
    > My motive is to bring to light and examine basic assumptions, and to
    > figure out what's the best morality for a nation to follow until the
    > MOQ is widely known and accepted.
    >
    > msh asks:
    > Why just a nation, and not the world? Or, in a nation such as the
    > US, why a national morality rather than one determined by each state,
    > county, city...?

    Well, Ian thinks that "why" questions like these are "damn" questions and
    shouldn't be asked. Only "how" questions are legit. Glad to see you don't
    agree and find that why questions are perfectly reasonable questions, like
    Pirsig's biggy, "Why survive?"

    My answer to your question is, "Choose the world if you want, or the
    state, county, city--whatever social group suits your fancy. Just be sure
    to cite the basis for your answer--innate moral sense, self-interest,
    historical precedent, religious teaching, natural law, contextulism,
    relativism, etc. and be prepared to justify your assumptions."

    I don't know the answer. That's why I asked. But, it looks like a lot of
    people find Christian teachings (love they neighbor) appealing as a moral
    base whether they are willing to admit it or not.

    Platt