Re: MD People and Value in the MOQ

From: PhaedrusWolf@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 02:00:50 GMT

    In a message dated 12/3/04 5:03:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk writes:

    Are you familiar with the phrase 'adrenaline junkie'? Someone who has such a
    rush from a particular
    experience (bungee jumping or whatever) that they continue to seek out that
    rush doing more and more
    exotic exercises. The Lutheran revolution was a huge DQ step forward from a
    corrupt and suffocating
    set of SQ patterns, but I believe there are certain historical inheritances
    from that period which
    are no longer DQ, but have in fact become their own form of SQ, principally
    the assumption that the
    established church is anti-DQ. As I see it there is an element in Protestant
    derived cultures which
    causes hostility to SQ patterns, especially ones associated with a
    hierarchy. I think this is a
    large part of the fuel for a 'free market', it underlies a lot of the US
    ideology, and it
    particularly shows itself in discussions about the role of the church
    establishment. The problem is
    that without SQ you degenerate, and I think that has happened in certain
    circumstances - you could
    say that the drug problem is one of the fallouts from this approach (after
    all, it is unadulterated
    DQ as some would see it). I think Pirsig calls this problem quite well when
    he's writing about the
    hippies.

    But then again, maybe I'm just interpreting things through conservative
    spectacles...

    Hi Sam,

    I pretty much agree with what you are saying, and understand it to be wise
    to hold on to the static patterns as support. At some point in time, these
    static patterns were Dynamic, or they wouldn't have worked their way into our
    soical or intellectual patterns, as we have a long period since the Greeks to
    build upon the original Republic and Laws. You would think we would have gotten
     a bit closer to a dynamic Republic.

    Maybe it is more the balancing of the Lila in us, as opposed to conforming
    to either.

    One supporting thought is that we have gone from the 'Woodstock generation'
    to the 'Wall Street generation', and it appears the lack of values is the only
     thing that constant through this generation (mine), except for some pretty
    decent tunes.

    I think back to what I learned during this period, and it does seem to me
    the culture shock brought us to a new way of looking at things. What I see more
    is the effect it had on the upcoming generation. It is like a scientific
    discovery. The arguments never allow the discovery to become a part of the
    culture during the period in which it is discovered, as there is value in both
    side's arguments -- Einstein -vs.- Bhor for instance. Once the next generation
    comes to it, it is no longer questioned, as it is then familiar in history --
    it becomes accepted whether right or wrong.

    What you think?

    Chin