Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 13:48:49 GMT

    Hi Chin,

    > In a message dated 12/5/04 5:32:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    > pholden@sc.rr.com writes:
    >
    > > No culture, religion, or political state is absolutely superior to any
    > > other. No intellect is absolutely superior to any other.
    >
    > Do you are believe those statements to be the absolute truth? If not, why
    > shouldn't I consider them to be arbitrary opinions?

    > Hi Platt,
    >
    > You should consider them arbitrary opinions, and even I could not consider
    > them absolute truths, quite simply because there is no way of knowing
    > anything to be absolute.

    Et tu, Chin? Seems you are absolutely certain there is no way of knowing
    anything to be absolute, thus all is opinion.

    > "They think they know, but don't. At least I know I don't
    > know." (paraphrased, and of course limited to the words of Plato)

    I doubt if Plato made the self-contradictory statement, "I know I don't
    know anything." Maybe he was referring to a specific conundrum, like "Who
    made God?"

    > As with any of these, I feel the same would hold true for Philosophy
    > of Life' in general. It is an ongoing thing, and not matter our past
    > experiences, or perceived knowledge, we are still all 'Know-nothing
    > Philosophers' in search of, and learning as we go along. Everyone is
    > equally right and wrong. There is no way of knowing which is which.

    More absolutes? "Everyone is equally right and wrong." "There is no way of
    knowing which is which." I guess not since you believe your statements to
    be arbitrary opinions, by which I assume you believe truth to be an
    illusion. Is that right?

    > Platt) -- On what basis do you determine what constitutes a "better life"?

    > Chin) -- Same answer. The answer to this riddle;
    >
    > LIFE AND DEATH
    >
    > When one says that life and death do exist,
    > he immediately gets two horns grow on his head.
    >
    > When one says that life and death do not exist,
    > he immediately gets two horns grow on his head, too.
    >
    > When one says that life and death neither exist nor do not exist,
    > he also gets two horns grow on his head.
    >
    > When one says that neither life nor death does exist or does not exist, he
    > gets two horns grown on his head, too.
    >
    > So, what would you say about life and death in order to not getting any
    > horn growing on your head?

    So would I be right to conclude that in your arbitrary opinion the basis
    of morality is an unanswerable riddle and thus beyond all rational
    discussion?

    Platt

    P.S. Please share your investment plan that "will work no matter the
    market." I want to get rich, too. :-)