Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 17:06:04 GMT

    Hi Platt, all,

    >> I think there may be an important disagreement between the MOQ and
    >> formalism, since the "absolute" of the MOQ is not to be taken as
    >> absolute as the Christian God or the Founding Father's Natural Law but
    >> rather as a high Quality intellectual pattern of value. What do you
    >> think?
    >
    > Well, the scale of Quality from low to high is an absolute although
    > where
    > to place a particular idea or behavior on that scale is a matter of
    > personal preference guided by Pirsig's hierarchy.

    But there isn't a single scale of values. For example, biologically she
    has quality, socially she doesn't. Context is important in the MOQ.
    (We could find other scales besides inorganic, biological, social, and
    intellectual, as well since Pirsig could think of many ways to divide
    Quality.) Also, I don't see these scales as one-dimensional. We still
    don't have a definition of Quality that allows us to rank everything in
    the universe.

    Chapter 12:

    "Rigel was just pushing a narrow tradition-bound socio-biological code
    of

    morals which it was certain he didn't understand himself.

    As Phædrus had gotten into them he had seen that the isolation of these

    static moral codes was important. They were really little moral empires

    all their own, as separate from one another as the static levels whose

    conflicts they resolved:

    First, there were moral codes that established the supremacy of
    biological

    life over inanimate nature. Second, there were moral codes that

    established the supremacy of the social order over biological

    life-conventional morals-proscriptions against drugs, murder, adultery,

    theft and the like. Third, there were moral codes that established the

    supremacy of the intellectual order over the social order-democracy,
    trial

    by jury, freedom of speech, freedom of the press.

    > What I find interesting
    > is your implication that belief in God can support an intellectual
    > pattern
    > just as belief in Quality supports the pattern of the MOQ.

    Postulating an external judge of right and wrong supports intellectual
    patterns such as "this or that is wrong because it says so in the
    Bible." (I consider this an intellectual pattern since it involves
    reasoning even though I think it is rather low quality reasoning.)
    Beliefs of all kinds support reasoning since reasoning takes beliefs
    and creates new beliefs based on them. Many of these sorts of
    intellectual patterns are just intellectual support of social
    authority, but I think there is high quality reasoning based on a
    belief in God as well.

    Belief in Quality has the virtue of being undeniable, as you've often
    pointed out.

    > This takes us back to my original question, "Until the MOQ is widely
    > known
    > and believed, what is the proper source of morality for a nation?"

    I'm not sure where your question is coming from. Are you questioning
    whether there should be a wall of separation between church and state?
    I don't think I understand the question, but I'll give it a go. As I
    see it, there are two general bases for morality: reason and tradition.
      The source of morality for this and every nation is a blend of the
    two. "The theme song of the twentieth century" (the battle between the
    intellectual and social codes) plays on. I don't know what the source
    *should* be, but I think I've described what it is. To me it sounds
    like you are asking which direction rocks should fall when you drop
    them. The source of morality doesn't sound like something anyone gets
    to choose.

    Regards,
    Steve

    Lila Ch 12 cont.:

    "What was emerging was that the static patterns that hold one level of

    organization together are often the same patterns that another level of

    organization must fight to maintain its own existence. Morality is not a

    simple set of rules. It's a very complex struggle of conflicting
    patterns

    of values. This conflict is the residue of evolution. As new patterns

    evolve they come into conflict with old ones. Each stage of evolution

    creates in its wake a wash of problems.

    It's out of this struggle between conflicting static patterns that the

    concepts of good and evil arise. Thus, the evil of disease which the

    doctor is absolutely morally committed to stop is not an evil at all
    within

    the germ's lower static pattern of morality. The germ is making a moral

    effort to stave off its own destruction by lower-level inorganic forces
    of

    evil.

    Phædrus thought that most other quarrels in values can be traced to

    evolutionary causes and that this tracing can sometimes provide both a

    rational basis for classification of the quarrels and a rational
    solution.

    The structuring of morality into evolutionary levels suddenly gives
    shape

    to all kinds of blurred and confused moral ideas that are floating
    around

    in our present cultural heritage. "Vice" is an example. In an
    evolutionary

    morality the meaning of vice is quite clear. Vice is a conflict between

    biological quality and social quality. Things like sex and booze and
    drugs

    and tobacco have a high biological quality, that is, they feel good, but

    are harmful for social reasons. They take all your money. They break up

    your family. They threaten the stability of the community.

    Like the stuff Rigel was throwing at him this morning, the old Victorian

    morality. That was entirely within that one code-the social
    code. Phædrus

    thought that code was good enough as far as it went, but it really
    didn't

    go anywhere. It didn't know its origins and it didn't know its own

    destinations, and not knowing them it had to be exactly what it was:

    hopelessly static, hopelessly stupid, a form of evil in itself.

    Evil. . . . If he'd called it that one-hundred-and-fifty years ago he
    might

    have gotten himself into some real trouble. People got mad back then
    when

    you challenged their social institutions, and they tended to take

    reprisals. He might have gotten himself ostracized as some kind of a

    social menace.  And if he'd said it six-hundred years ago he might have

    been burned at the stake.

    But today it's hardly a risk. It's more of a cheap shot. Everybody
    thinks

    those Victorian moral codes are stupid and evil, or old-fashioned at
    least,

    except maybe a few religious fundamentalists and ultra-right-wingers and

    ignorant uneducated people like that. That's why Rigel's sermon this

    morning seemed so peculiar. Usually people like Rigel do their
    sermonizing

    in favor of whatever they know is popular. That way they're safe. Didn't

    he know all that stuff went out years ago? Where was he during the

    revolution of the sixties?

    Where has he been during this whole century? That's what this whole

    century's been about, this struggle between intellectual and social

    patterns. That's the theme song of the twentieth century. Is society

    going to dominate intellect or is intellect going to dominate
    society? And

    if society wins, what's going to be left of intellect? And if intellect

    wins what's going to be left of society? That was the thing that this

    evolutionary morality brought out clearer than anything else. Intellect
    is

    not an extension of society any more than society is an extension of

    biology. Intellect is going its own way, and in doing so is at war with

    society, seeking to subjugate society, to put society under lock and
    key.

    An evolutionary morality says it is moral for intellect to do so, but it

    also contains a warning: Just as a society that weakens its people's

    physical health endangers its own stability, so does an intellectual

    pattern that weakens and destroys the health of its social base also

    endanger its own stability.

    Better to say "has endangered." It's already happened. This has been a

    century of fantastic intellectual growth and fantastic social
    destruction.

    The only question is how long this process can keep on."