Re: MD The Quality of Capitalism?

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 13:40:47 GMT

    Hi Mel,

    On 6 Dec 2004 at 22:25, ml wrote:

    I just took the lead on his style and went with it...
    no more no less...the "muddled would have to do
    with what was being addressed. Just took what
    I found...thx--mel

    msh:
    Then why not try to unmuddle it? NC's comments were off the top of
    his head, in response to one of probably a couple hundred emails he
    answered that day. I posted the exchange to give us all something to
    talk about. As for his tone, well he, like you, was probably
    influenced by the objectionable framing of the arguments.

    I think your "straw man" issue is unfair, as he's responding to real
    arguments made by real people every day, not something he's trumped
    up for his own amusement. If you have better arguments and data in
    support of so-called free-market economies, then let's hear them.

    My complaint about your response is that you put forth some
    interesting ideas but never quite connect them in a way that refutes
    what NC is saying. And sometimes you appear to miss his point
    entirely. I can go into more detail here, if you like. But I'd like
    to keep the exchange cordial, if not friendly.

    FWIW, I think NC is wrong if he is suggesting that innovation NEVER
    occurs as a result of the pursuit of profit. There are plenty of
    counter-examples in the computer industry alone. But I think he's
    right in saying that the vast majority of creative and innovative
    work is done by people trying to solve interesting and difficult
    problems, often in their spare time, with no thought at all of their
    own enrichment. So to say that profit is what motivates creativity
    is just wrong.

    Anyway...

    Best,
    Mark