Re: MD Is the MoQ still in the Kantosphere?

From: Phaedrus Wolff (PhaedrusWolff@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 01:03:04 GMT

    Hi Sam,

    I think this;
    "I think a mystic is someone who is able to discern the deeper truths within
    a tradition, thereby
    enabling that tradition to develop."
    fits well.

    I believe where you are disagreeing with me is on 'experienced' as opposed
    to mystic. As our cultures have developed, I would feel 'experienced' would
    have come to mean 'anything' experienced, and not S/O only. That is how I
    meant it.

    Mysticism may very well need to be dropped, except in the sense you are
    relating to someone's definition of mysticism from your readings of
    philosophy -- that which maybe you feel covers the whole meaning of
    mysticism, which I don't feel any does. If you relate mysticism to a certain
    philosopher, then you are denying that other philosophers are mystic. If you
    think about it, your definition of mystic covers quite a few philosophers.

    When I offered the quote from James, I didn't mean to refer to James'
    mysticism, but this is how you read it. Right?

    > "No Mystics (at least before the [20th] century) believed in or practiced
    'mysticism'. They believed
    > in and practiced Christianity (or Judaism, or Islam, or Hinduism), that
    is, religions that
    > contained mystical elements as parts of a wider historical whole."
    > (Bernard McGinn, The Presence of God: A History of Western Christian
    Mysticism)

    Why make this distinction? Mysticism is mysticism. In religion, if you
    receive a vision, then this is mysticism. The same would hold true no matter
    theist/anti-theist. Possibly the only thing keeping you from a mystic
    experience would be your intellect.

    What happened to Pheadrus with Lila is a good example. When his inhibitions
    were in check by the influence of alcohol, he experienced a mystic
    experience with 'The lila.' This was the lila that he was infatuated with as
    opposed to the biological Lila that was touchable, and far from the lilaness
    that aroused his mystical experience. As he denied 'Lila's Quality' he lost
    his mystical experience. Had he been able to see though the package to the
    'The lila' underneath, maybe he wouldn't have been so inclined to give the
    Lila that represented this lila up so readily.

    It is my belief that it was his sobriety, his intellectual hang-ups, and not
    the Lila that represented this 'lila' that held him from his happiness --
    and hers. Rigel may have been the one who recognized the DQ in this
    situation. At least from what was offered in the story, it seems to me that
    Lila offered something that both could use -- a changing of the garmets as
    mentioned in the little story I offered "Children's eyes - childrens
    mouths."

    It seems to me there might have been a bit too much Pirsig, and not enough
    Phaedrus.

    Notice the 'mays' and 'mights' of what I am saying. All I am trying to get
    at is that there is more to Lila than intellectual or biological Quality if,
    or not it is there. There is a mystical presense that may be found by
    looking past the package, just as there is a mystical presense in all of us.
    It is more than just looks, and it is certainly more than just intellect,
    and it most, most certainly is more than just Victorian Principles.

    It is the package that holds us from the DQ; maybe the prejudice along lines
    of race, culture, religion, and yes intellect as well. If you take away all
    the differences in the peoples of the earth, there is nothing left -- except
    maybe a biological animal feeding and keeping warm.

    If you wake up in the morning to the same old, same ole, Lila lying beside
    you, that has been lying there for 20 years or more, and all of a sudden she
    is beautiful, would this not be a mystical experience? -- I know it can be
    explained away in biological terms, but why just the one morning or many or
    every morning after?

    Maybe this doesn't qualify as mystical -- maybe it does. To the person it
    happened to, it does, and to the blue-haired ladies at the church, when the
    minister's words reach out so strongly that people in the church start
    speaking in tounge, and these blue-haired propper ladies' faces light up --
    when you read the simple words of someone like Pirsig, and it turns around
    the way you view the world . . .

    Life is full of mystical experiences, and the person who can see these
    experiences is a mystic, whether she changes the world or not from one
    mystical experience -- maybe two -- maybe the fact that everyday holds a new
    one, and everyone around her is touched by her Quality.

    OK, so I have gone well past what you wanted defined -- sorry.

    Your definition of mystic is fine. Do we need a better one?

    What if we include a tradition of one -- maybe two?

    Then would the mystical experience need to change the tradition, or would it
    allow us to live in the same tradition until the tradition caught up to us,
    or them naturally by the experiences it caused to fan out around them?

    What is DQ other than a mystical experience? -- an event is
    experienced(?) -- if allowed.

    Maybe we don't need a new word(s), just new ways of saying them.

    Chin (Sorry, I know I go off the deep end)