Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 15:07:48 GMT

    Platt,

    Pirsig - The world has no existence whatsoever outside the human
    imagination.
    Arlo - is troubled by this.
    Mark - This comment has always troubled me.
    Platt - The comment troubles me, too.

    I think your readings need to be more subtle.
    It troubled me too, for about 5 seconds.
    This is early in ZMM (as Mark goes on to say) before he has cast Lila's
    metaphysical concrete around his MoQ.
    He's stating the problem - not asserting a literal axiomatic truth.
    Stating the problem in such a stark way (in a work of literature, not a
    scientific journal) that pedants like Platt will notice :-)

    Mark - Is Pirsig an Idealist or an Empiricist or what?
    Platt - As said, it's pure Idealism.

    Well yeah, if you take it literally as an isolated assertion.
    I say he is pragmatic (being a pragmatist, but without a capital P round his
    neck)
    Gaps between experiences are modelled by the imagination.
    The real "out-there" may as well (pragmatically) not exist, if it cannot be
    supported by experience.
    No amount of metaphysics makes it any more likely to exist except at points
    where it touches experience.

    Being run over by a truck is supported by experience, Platt.
    Just not mine fortunately :-)

    Ian.