Re: MD The MOQ and Mysticism 101

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 16:23:01 GMT

    Ian:

    > Platt ...
    >
    > Ad hominem attacks ???
    > This mail today ""As ususal DMB has ... all wrong"
    > Other mail today "The way DMB describes .... etc"
    > Pot & kettle perhaps ... ?
    > Truce - however, since you're clearly in playful mood ...

    Yes, mea culpa. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try to do better.

    > Perhaps I could glean a clue or two about inuition and mysticism.
    > I still genuinely feel mysticism is just a pejorative label for something
    > fairly straightforward.
    >
    > I'm happy with the idea of "pre-cognitive" knowledge ("affective" no ?)
    > Something believed, felt, "known" ahead of conceptualising any rational or
    > empirical perceptual inputs. Is this stuff "not yet rationally explained"
    > and/or "not yet experienced through the 5 external senses" all people mean
    > by mysticism ?

    Yes, I think that's what mysticism means, "understanding without
    knowledge." In other words, intuition. But there are those who say it
    means some sort of life changing "born again" experience where suddenly
    Reality with a capital R is revealed. I can't deny it because I've never
    had such an experience, but then again, I can't deny near death
    experiences or being abducted by a UFO.

    That's what arouses my suspicions about the revelation of mystics that
    "All is One" or "Everything is interrelated." After all, ordinary everyday
    thought requires universals like that. For example, there must be the
    concept of One for there to be many. Our sense perceive particulars in
    time and place, but in order for us to have knowledge of them, we require
    universals such as colors, species, types, qualities, general ideas,
    properties, classes and relations. These universals are independent of
    perception and cannot be located in space and time. They are not part of
    the observed world. You might call them "mystical" or Platonic. But they
    are a necessary framework for human thought. So a revelation like "All is
    One" tends not only to be redundant, but a necessity if we are to think at
    all.

    What do you think?

    Regards,
    Platt