RE: MD Absolutes and Generalities

From: Erin N. (enoonan@kent.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 22:24:39 GMT

    Platt,

    THE IMPLIED MEANING OF VALUE IS ONE OF PREFERENCE.
    A consistent pattern of preference sounds
    more fitting of what Jon is arguing
    then what you are arguing.

    PIRSIG: The only difference between causation and the value is that the word
    "cause" implies absolute certainty whereas the implied meaning of "value" is
    one of preference. In classical science it was supposed that the world always
    works in terms of absolute certainty and that "cause" is the more appropriate
    word to describe it. But in modern quantum physics all that is changed.
    Particles "prefer" to do what they do. An individual particle is not
    absolutely committed to one predictable behavior. What appears to be an
    absolute cause is just a very consistent pattern of preferences.

    >If truth is always personal and relative, why does Pirsig use the word
    >"absolute" in a moral context? Do you think he made a mistake?
    >Consider the following from Chap. 9: (Emphasis added so you won't
    >miss the absolutes

    Look at your language Platt lol... if truth is
    always personal and relative.
    Where was that said? As usual by nobody but you.

    All the strong language you give are about the ideas within the MOQ
    but where does he use strong language about the MOQ in its entirity.

    >Mistake, mistake, mistake? Rhetorical exaggerations? Maybe. But I
    >doubt it. Pirsig is saying it's possible for more than one set of truths
    >(absolutes) to exist. The MoQ represents one of those sets. Science
    >represents another.

    I am not clear how you jump from set of truths to
    absolutes here.

    >In any event, I had to smile at your implication that it would be
    >absolutely wrong to argue that Pirsig misinterpreted Pirsig. Or is that a
    >"provisional" judgment on your part? :-)
    >
    >Platt

    Again you have to add words like "absolutely
    wrong" to other people's statements.
    Notice its only you who likes writing in this
    manner.

    I wrote that as a more of joke to suggest that YOU
    misinterpreted Pirsig.

    Can you consider the possibility that
    Pirsig slightly EXAGERATES all three characters
    to make them clearly representative of the level
    they are supposed to.
    I don't think Pirsig ever suggests to take
    MoQ in the absolute sense.
    Is it possible that Phaedrus
    could be representative of Pirsig's opinion
    of MOQ at a particular point in his life but
    changed his mind and wrote in retrospect.
    So many possibilities that I can't just can't
    accept your opinion as Pirsig's.
    I even consider the terrifying thought that
    Pirsig does suffer delusions of grandeur like
    you and thinks that he can't be wrong (but
    that usually doesn't last long thank god).

    Erin