RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 02:47:01 GMT

    Scott, Anthony, Sam, Erin and all MOQers:

    Thanks for the kind words, Doctor McWatt.

    Scott said:
    The only difference that I can see between a SOM materialist view and the
    MOQ is that the MOQ has added DQ to account for value and as a means for
    development up the levels (in which role it seems to me to be theistic)...

    Ant McWatt replied:
    I don't think "theism" is a good term to apply in the context of the MOQ. It
    implies incorrectly that Dynamic Quality has a personality or is
    supernatural or can be prayed to or is fundamentally separate from the
    static quality patterns.

    dmb says:
    Sadly, I don't have much to add here. I just can't resist the temptation to
    point out that, once again, Scott is exactly wrong. In fact, one could make
    a case that the MOQ takes much of it shape by opposing materialism and
    theism. To accurately describe materialism and theism is to accurately
    describe what the MOQ is NOT and is against. Its remarkable, really. Its
    like Scott has made a game of it and has devoted himself to avoiding correct
    interpretations at all costs.

    (I should add that this presents a real challenge for Erin. Like FOX's Bill
    O'Really?, he's a parody of himself already. His posts read like a comedy
    sketch already. Or maybe that's the answer; include Scott's assertions in
    your comedy skit just as they are, without alteration. Good luck, Erin.)

    Scott continued:
    ...and to bring in mysticism. But the way it brings in mysticism is also
    SOM-based. (I won't go into this but it is the original impetus of this
    thread: "Pure experience and the Kantian problematic" -- arising from Sam's
    essay).

    Ant McWatt replied:
    Sam's essay on MOQ.org isn't an argument. Instead of concluding that the
    MOQ is a form of Kantian SOM, he might as well as have concluded that the
    MOQ is a form of Neapolitan ice cream. Like melting ice cream Sam's essay
    has some nice elements in it but it has no real substance.

    dmb says:
    You ever notice how the chocolate tastes pretty much just like the
    strawberry and vanilla. Its all washed out, too sweet and too airy and fake.
    Kids like it, but it offends the adult palate, no? I'm sinspired to stop on
    the way home tonight and get three pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream to a
    proper Neapolitan for grown ups, dammit.

    Anyway, if Sam's essay was a dish of that kid stuff, then Ant's book is a
    ribeye steak with all the trimmings followed by gallon of Cherry Garcia.

    Hmmm. I must be hungry. Or maybe its the munchies. Could be that I got a
    contact buzz from Scott's bong.