RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 23:29:24 GMT

    Sam asked Anthony:
    There's been some debate here and on MF about whether DQ is 'superior' or
    'anterior' to SQ. I had been persuaded, by DMB amongst others, that Pirsig
    sees DQ as primary, and SQ as secondary and derivative. A) do you agree with
    DMB on that point, and B) is that compatible with the form/formlessness
    contradictory identity which Scott is describing?

    dmb objects:
    You've misunderstood and mischaracterized my view, Sam. As I understand it,
    DQ is the primary emprical reality and sq forms in its wake, but words like
    "secondary" or "derivitive" strike me as too dismissive. If I ever used
    those words or gave that impression, I'd regret it.

    The idea that leaps to mind here is the MOQ's assertion that reality is
    undivided, that Quality is undivided, that the static/Dynamic split is an
    intellectual division. This division is a way to explain the dance between
    freedom and order. It is a picture of two opposites, between dynamic freedom
    and static order, that constitute a whole. All this just screams
    contradictory identity, doesn't it? And its pretty clear that the words
    "form" and "pattern" mean the same thing in this sense. The
    "undifferentiated" continuum is "formlessness". I have quoted Wilber so many
    times in an effort to express this idea that you're probably sick of it, so
    I won't do it again.