Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 18:10:20 GMT

    Hi DMB,

    If I have mistaken your views I apologise. Would you be happy that there is
    a difference between these two views (or am I making a division where none
    exists?)

    View A: the static/dynamic split of "reality" is metaphysically equivalent
    to the classic/romantic split, or the subject/object split; the relationship
    between the static and dynamic can be pictured like the yin/yang symbol, and
    the whole (DQ/SQ) is a representation of reality.

    View B: the static/dynamic split is metaphysically different to the
    classic/romantic split in that the dynamic is the underlying mystical
    reality itself, and the static is a derivative product resulting from the
    operations of that DQ in time. DQ is conceptually and morally prior to SQ,
    and therefore superior to it in a way that cannot be represented by use of
    the yin/yang symbol.

    Until last year I had believed the MoQ to be advocating View A (with
    "Quality" referring to the underlying mystical reality, then being
    subdivided), but following our discussions (in MF in March 04) I came away
    thinking that the MoQ in fact advocates View B. The most important point in
    favour of this perspective is Pirsig's comment that in ZMM when he talked
    about Quality he was in fact talking about DQ. I still remember my feeling
    of surprise on reading that. View A, by the way, seems compatible with
    'contradictory identity', so far as I understand it, whilst View B does not
    (although I'd be interested to learn if Scott agrees with that).

    But it is perfectly possible that I have misunderstood both what you were
    saying and this view of the MoQ. If View A is in fact the correct view of
    the MoQ I would be greatly reassured. It's pretty much what I believe to be
    the case.

    Sam