RE: MD Gardner on Pragmatism

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 02:37:47 GMT

    Kevin said at the end of a good post:
    [The MoQ is] a _method_ of inquiry, not the Terminus of Inquiry.

    Matt:
    Except, I suggest saying, "The MoQ is a _context_ of inquiry." The reason
    I suggest "context" over "method" is because pragmatists are pretty
    suspicious of methods. I can't really figure out what the "method" of the
    MoQ would be, just as pragmatists can't really figure out what the "method"
    of science is outside of general suggestions for inquiry that people from
    all walks of life use. What the MoQ gives is a context and vocabulary in
    which to talk about things.

    But yeah, right on.

    Matt