Re: MD home schooling

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 03:27:13 BST

    I haven't been following this tread too closely, but my views are ...

    (From the privelidged position of someone with two boys aged 18 & 19
    off to university - one to do Philosophy, the other Natural Sciences -
    both of whom benefitted from a non-fee-paying "public" grammar school
    education, both of whom had read both Plato and Nietzsche by the age
    of 15 ... )

    Early pre-schooling - never underestimate what a child's brain can do
    - read to them - adult stuff with real adult words (whatever you're
    reading yourself) as soon as they can hold their head up and focus
    attention on you and the reading materail - it goes in I promise you,
    aged 18 months onwards. Before that just talk to them like a grown up
    - and don't bung up their communication channel with a soother /
    dummy. Don't teach your kids pidgin.

    Real school - don't keep your kids out of a classroom environment -
    the social and peer interaction is 80% of the value - you can
    supplement the other 20% of content with home encouragement and by
    providing additional intelligent materials. Find out what their school
    teachers would welcome to support / fill gaps. (Look at what happened
    to Pirsig - alien schooling without peers - nearly destroyed him.) -
    Whatever you might think, parental and teacher education is a tiny 20%
    of their peer group input.

    Ian