Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 22:19:52 GMT

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 30 Jan 2003 13:48:12 -0500:
    'IMO it isn't necessary for a pattern to last for a specific length of time
    in order to be defined as a stable pattern, especially at the intellectual
    level where, being the last to evolve, it is the most volatile. But those
    "sets of ideas" your refer to are precisely what I mean by a stable
    intellectual pattern independent of the approval of others. A review of your
    posts over time will reveal a very stable set of ideas that could be easily
    described as Wim's intellectual pattern, just as a review of my posts would
    show the same. In fact, hasn't this site proven just how difficult it is to
    change anyone's personal, largely unspoken pattern of intellectual values?'

    It IS necessary for a pattern (repetitive experience) to last for SOME time
    in order to be RECOGNIZED as a pattern. This time it not specific. It
    depends on the sensitivity of the one experiencing the pattern.
    We CAN interpret specific, individual 'things' to be patterns of value.
    - The bike which I happen to see in my shed every time I go and get it there
    to go shopping (until it is stolen), can be interpreted as a pattern of
    value.
    - The morning mood of my wife, which I experience most mornings as rather
    unpleasant replies if I say too much to her, can too.
    - The idea that I may start a 'message to America' project, which re-appears
    at irregular intervals in my head and which (until very recently) I never
    told anybody about, too.
    Doing so is not consistent with calling patterns of value more volatile when
    they belong to a higher level. The shortest living recognizable 'things'
    typically belong to the inorganic level: some of the elementary particles
    (e.g. the 'pion' with a lifetime of 26 nanoseconds, which is a member of the
    'meson' family of elementary particles of which all other members decay even
    faster).
    Doing so doesn't bring us much advantages compared to Subject-Object
    Thinking. It is very hard to categorize this type of patterns of value.
    - Is a bike an inorganic pattern of value (being constructed of solid dead
    matter)? Or is it a biological pattern of value (providing a much more
    comfortable way of travelling than walking)? Or is it a social pattern of
    value (possession of -on average- 1,1 bike per head of the population being
    a cultural characteristic of the Dutch)? Or is it an intellectual pattern of
    value (a symbol saying 'I care about the environment', which I emphasize by
    having
    two stickers on my foldable bike saying 'one car less')?
    - Is my wife's morning mood a biological or a social pattern of value?
    (Please tell me!!!)

    Despite Pirsig doing so in 'Lila', I propose to reserve the term 'pattern of
    value' for phenomena that are not linked to specific, individual 'things',
    but that -if we need to relate them to 'things' (because the words we need
    to describe them denote 'things')- have 'things' as elements.
    Words we use can of course often denote BOTH a 'thing' AND a phenomenon with
    other (smaller) things as elements. If we are discussing in the context of a
    MoQ discussion group we should sometimes explicitly state (if only for
    newcomers) that we refer to the last type of phenomenon and presume that
    others do so too, even if they don't do so explicitly. (IF we agree on my
    proposal, that is.)
    So if we speak about a 'glass of water', we refer to the pattern of value
    HOLDING ITS MOLECULES TOGETHER, not about a 'thing' that can quench my
    thirst.
    If we speak about a 'nation', we refer to the pattern of value HOLDING ITS
    CITIZENS TOGETHER (making them feel and behave like 'belonging'), not about
    a 'subject' that can choose to act in a specific way (like
    defending itself against 'biology') and not about an 'object' which we (from
    an 'intellectual' point of view) can change at will.

    Such 'patterns of value', repetitive experiences with 'things' as elements,
    are much easier to categorize. We can ask why these elements form and
    re-form or maintain this repetition. The mechanism explaining that
    repetition is different for each level.

    Back to the question whether an intellectual pattern of value, e.g. a 'set
    of ideas' (that are repeatedly expressed in some medium), requires
    'conscious motivation/justification of actions in a way that is
    acceptable to others', as I wrote.

    I agree that there are intellectual patterns of value whose existence is
    independent of the approval of others. An example is indeed ideas ('things')
    in my head which are never expressed to others and which nevertheless form
    and re-form combinations that -despite small differences over time- form a
    recognizable 'set of ideas' (the pattern).
    Another example is a set of symbols (a text) on a piece of paper
    that -depending on the circumstances of storage- can stay readable and
    understandable for centuries. The interpretation of the text can differ a
    bit over time and between different readers, but the pattern of symbolized
    meanings stays largely the same and exists independently from the readers.