Re: MD Hume, Paley and Intelligent Design

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 20:05:03 BST

    On Wednesday 27 April 2005 11:56 PM Ham writes to Arlo, Patt, Sam and MSH:

    Hi Ham, Arlo, Platt, Sam, MSH, and all,

    [Ham] Well, it doesn't defy logic that mind is the subject of experience,
    and you
    folks have assured me that experience IS empirical reality. Pirsig has
    stressed the primacy of Quality which, despite his metaphysical ambiguity,
    is certainly more experiential than material. Obviously, then, Essentialism
    and the MoQ are not in the materialist camp, and both have the potential to
    transcend material existence. Why is this concept so unacceptable to many,
    if not most, of the MD participants? Why, indeed, is MoQ's author himself
    reluctant to embrace it?

    [Ham] It can only be because they can't find it within themselves to cut the
    cord
    of scientific materialism and reap the psychic benefits of a valuistic
    belief system.

    [Ham] That's my theory. Do give it enough thought to discover where YOU side
    on
    this issue before posting an opinion.

    I am buffered. Along with others I have impulses to pay, to teach, which are
    very disordered. Disordered enough to destroy a League of Nations trying to
    stop war. Morality! In trying to find order I ask questions. What is
    teaching in terms of moral authority according to the MOQ? Is payment a
    function in the morality of the MOQ? I am thinking of the law of gravity.
    Does it include the social level?

    The thread of religious and secular atrocities, has not produced a clear-cut
    direction for morality. Does the social level embody a flaw 'power corrupts'?
    Does the religious society embody 'absolute power corrupts absolutely?' Do I
    have buffers which enable me to be OK with corruption? I'm wrong, but I'm
    OK. Can I become aware of the buffers in me?

    'Teaching', an intellectual endeavor, is limited by a social structure. Are
    there laws governing the intellectual level which are in the social and
    organic levels? IMO given evolution 'teaching' flows from level to level.
    The impulse to "teach others sense" is either a law or an accepted dogma.

    What are the laws of 'payment'? I have tried to engage Platt on the impulse
    for 'payment' since he seems to be most inclined to see payment as a law.
    "There is no free lunch!" IMO Essence is a law for teaching! Quality is a
    law for payment!.

    Joe