Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: Joao (joaocs@sapo.pt)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 22:11:54 GMT

    > Joao said:
    > Pirsig's intellectual level allows for the accomodation of all the
    visions.
    > There is one set of patterns for each subject, continually changing.
    > There are shared intellectual patterns, but not perfectly common. Each
    > subject has its view of the shared patterns, an intellectual pattern
    itself.
    > There is communication, interaction, causing changes in the patterns, new
    > patterns, etc.
    >
    > Matt:
    > Sure, the MoQ's intellectual level accomodates all visions in the same
    > sense that the universe is the sum total of everything in it by
    definition.
    > But that's not really what I was talking about. Rather, in a single
    > pattern of beliefs that we might call a "person," they might have one
    woven
    > pattern that answers questions about reality and about justice. Rorty
    > suggests that for practical purposes, we keep patterns about reality and
    > patterns about justice separate.
    >
    > Matt

    I guess Pirsig wouldn't agree with that. The separations that make sense are
    between different individuals' or social groups' visions. Not between
    concepts like reality and justice in a single individual. Individual
    intellectual patterns arise from different social level experience. They are
    inherently separated. But reality and justice are concepts that any
    individual possesses. Its up to each one to keep them separated or to
    integrate them holistically. Zen masters prefer the holistic aproach.
    Western scientists prefer the separated views.

    Joao