Re: MD The Carousel of Faux Philosophy

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 10:27:36 BST

    Funny's not a word I'd use Mark.

    I did venture the opinion earlier that to hold partisan political
    debates about national and international affairs was pretty pointless
    on a forum inhabited by the arch-but-unsubtle-rhetorician.

    Platteral shifts not only deflect any meaningful argument, but also
    put distortions of what you actually say in front of others - and off
    the memes run. Selling Chomsky to Platt is very "coals to Newcastle"
    (nope, wrong metaphor, but least offensive one I could think of) -
    anyway - a lose-lose battle I would have thought.

    You need to start with someone just slightly left of Platt - like
    Genghis Khan perhaps - and work from there.

    Brave effort though :-)

    Ian