Re: MD Dutch referendum on European constitution

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 19:57:02 BST

    Dear Platt,

    You
    Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:34 PM
    > I look forward
    > to your review of the above and whether or not there is any truth in the
    > reporter's views. For example, do the Dutch really fear free markets? And
    > from what you said earlier, robbing countries of their "national
    > identifies," ie., nationalism, is definitely NOT an issue despite the
    > reporter's claim. So if the reporter off base on that, what else did he
    > get wrong?

    Voters invented lots of different reasons to vote "No". Reasons for voting
    "Yes" were much less varied.
    The main connecting sentiment behind the reasons of the "No" voters seems to
    be that they took the chance to choose what those who normally choose for
    them didn't want them to choose.
    This was the first national referendum in the Netherlands. I think I heard
    the number 114 for the amount of local/regional referenda that have been
    held before in the Netherlands. 90% of them resulted in a "No"...
    Representative democracy is in a sense fake democracy. One can only choose
    who is supposed to represent you. Something that's of no real relevance (in
    the experience of voters) if those representatives can hardly be held
    accountable for what they do after having been elected.

    > do the Dutch really fear free markets?
    A Dutch fear of free markets is just as ridiculous as a Dutch tendency
    towards nationalism. The Netherlands has always thrived on its free trade
    and open economy.

    > immigration, a social value pattern, wasn't specifically
    > addressed. I wonder what the MOQ would say about it?
    Allowing immigration implies freedom, doesn't it...? Are you in favour of
    government control on immigration, Platt? Is that essentially different from
    government control on emigration of people with knowledge or capacities
    deemed essential for national wealth or security? Do you think the communist
    practice of strict control of whoever passes external borders (and internal
    ones, too) in whatever direction has at least the advantage of maintaining
    clear-cut national identities and thus protecting societies?

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim