Re: MD Dutch referendum on European constitution

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 12:50:25 BST

    Dear Wim,

    > > do the Dutch really fear free markets?

    > A Dutch fear of free markets is just as ridiculous as a Dutch tendency
    > towards nationalism. The Netherlands has always thrived on its free trade
    > and open economy.

    Thanks for straightening out the NY Times report on why the EU
    constitution referendum was defeated. As usual, the NY Times got it wrong.
    We cannot believe America's "newspaper of record" any more. It has gone
    over to the dark side.

    > > immigration, a social value pattern, wasn't specifically
    > > addressed. I wonder what the MOQ would say about it?

    > Allowing immigration implies freedom, doesn't it...? Are you in favour of
    > government control on immigration, Platt? Is that essentially different
    > from government control on emigration of people with knowledge or
    > capacities deemed essential for national wealth or security? Do you think
    > the communist practice of strict control of whoever passes external borders
    > (and internal ones, too) in whatever direction has at least the advantage
    > of maintaining clear-cut national identities and thus protecting societies?

    I'm all in favor of freedom, but I think the MOQ would say that
    immigration control is a social value that intellect would support in
    order to maintain social cohesion. When a society is overly burdened due
    to an influx of people that strains social services, it is threatened with
    disintegration. Such threats do not bode well for intellect's continuing
    effectiveness and influence which depend on a viable social base.
    However, as you rightfully point out, social values can become too
    restrictive. Better to err on the side of freedom.

    Best,
    Platt