RE: MD Pirsig's conception of ritual

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 22:52:29 GMT

    DMB: "Is there anything I can do to get you to respond to the thoughts
    and quotes about the transition period?"

    I had some thoughts about what you said there. Specifically, that the
    beginning of the intellectual level, aka the birth of philosophy, was when
    people began to question the static social patterns and rituals and demand
    justification for them. But I don't think they had to question rituals or
    their validity or usefullness in order to develop intellectual static
    patterns. Rather, after comfortably feeling secure in social situations
    thanks to rituals, it became possible for principles such as democracy to
    develop and to begin to repeat as intellectual patterns. I don't think
    intellectual patterns required any cutting away of ritual vines, but rather
    required the vines themselves. Yes, that's the axe I'll be grinding in all
    my posts.

    What Plato did by insisting that the sophists know why they were teaching
    the rituals was to encapsulate the good. Doesn't Pirsig imply that Plato
    caused some harm by doing that? That he should have let the Sophists just
    continue to teach rituals for their own sake, without trying to encapsulate
    and justify everything?