Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 23:59:45 GMT

    Hi Squonk,

    Do you really think that these two ideals are compatible?

    >The best social values promote
    >intellectual freedom, and are measured by intellectual freedom.

    and

    >the MoQ values Dynamism and wishes for those circumstances to exist
    >that help to resonate reality in a just, beautiful,
    >and harmonious unity.

    When you think about times of great intellectual freedom, do you think of
    "harmony"? I don't. Justice, beauty and harmony all mean that something
    fits an established pattern, and intellectual freedom doesn't necessarily
    mean it is beautiful or just or harmonious. If a new intellectual idea is
    seen as resonating beauty, it is because it fits, it builds on existing
    morality. To like something, it has to be *like* something else that you
    already like in some way.

    Axe grinding #3. Does grinding an axe sharpen it or dull it? We'll see...