MD Chomsky

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 00:24:19 BST

    ham:
    Now comes the Inquisition:

    msh before:
    Please provide Chomsky quotes, with references to original texts, in
    support of your statement that NC is a nihilist. Where is it that
    you believe "Chomsky and his fellow nihilists" would like to take
    us? Please develop this idea, and provide textual support for your
    position.

    ham:
    Frankly, I haven't read much of Chomsky, but it's enough to
    understand his position as a Leninist anarchist.

    msh:
    Ok, then you've read enough to conclude that he's a Leninist? Please
    provide quotes, with references, from Chomsky's thousands of
    interviews, lectures, essays, and books, in support of your position.

    ham:
    Like most liberals, Chomsky avoids stating his agenda in so many
    words; one has to surmise it from his reaction to the comments of
    others.

    msh says:
    Yes, those danged liberals. Maybe you could just read one of his
    books or essays, all the way through, and verify his well-documented
    research for yourself. Anyway, I don't know that he has an agenda
    other than to reveal abuses of power, and to challenge illegitimate
    hierarchies of authority. I also seem to recall you once being
    insulted by my saying that you have an "agenda" of your own. I also
    remember apologizing for saying it.

    ham:
    I'm sure you know his position on governance and advocation of
    "liberal reform" better than I do. But as you've challenged me
    specifically on Chomsky's nihilism, I found this Z-net quote from

    "How do I define God? I don't. Divinities have been understood in
    various ways in the cultural traditions that we know. Take, say, the
    core of the established religions today: the Bible. It is basically
    polytheistic, with the warrior God demanding of his chosen people
    that they not worship the other Gods and destroy those who do -- in
    an extremely brutal way, in fact. It would be hard to find a more
    genocidal text in the literary canon, or a more violent and
    destructive character than the God who was to be worshipped. So
    that's one definition. ...

    "Looking beyond, we find other conceptions, of many kinds. But I have
    nothing to propose. People who find such conceptions important for
    themselves have every right to frame them as they like. Personally, I
    don't. That's why you haven't found my "thoughts on this [for you]
    criticaI question." I have none, because I see no need for them
    (apart from the -- often extremely interesting and revealing --
    inquiry into human culture and history).

    "If you want to use the word "God" to refer to "what you are and what
    you want" -- well, that's a terminological decision, not a
    substantive one. And a bad terminological decision, I think, for the
    reasons just mentioned."

    In short, he has no such conception because he sees "no need for
    them". That may also be your position, but it's nihilism to me.

    msh:
    You're equating atheism with nihilism. You need a better dictionary.
     Besides, NC doesn't even refer to himself as an atheist. When
    asked, he says something like "Well, so far, no one has been able to
    explain to me what they mean by 'God.' So I don't even know what it
    is I'm supposed to believe in, or not believe in."

    ham:
    Oh, and there's this more recent comment by Fred Christie, one of
    Chomsky's book reviewers:

    msh:
    Before I comment on the review, let me say that resorting to
    secondary opinions, themselves without references to quotes from
    primary texts, is an exercise in futility and a sure sign of
    intellectual laziness; and, in the case of Chomsky, where thousands
    of original texts are available on the internet at the click of a
    key, and in books, newspapers, magazines, and academic journals
    throughout the world, even laziness is not a sufficient explanation
    for one's inability to produce even a single primary reference in
    support of one's Chomsky-denigrating opinions.