RE: MD Intellect as Consciousness (formerly Collective Consciousness)

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 17:46:21 BST

    Ham, Platt, all

    >Apart from particular notions of what the objects of perception are and
    >what
    >language a person speaks, do you really believe that the thought processes
    >of a native Ugandan are significantly different than the thought processes
    >of a North American?

    Paul: It depends on what you mean by thought processes. Do you mean to
    distinguish between the process of thinking and the thoughts? If so, what
    is there of philosophical interest to "thought processes" minus the
    thoughts?

    If you mean the biological activity, then, no, no significant difference.
    If you mean the intellectual patterns, then - Different? I would expect so.
    Significantly? I don't know any native Ugandans so can't comment.

    My basic question to you is - did Neanderthals reason?

    >You offer the example of "a human born into isolation". Do you believe
    >that
    >thought (e.g., cognition and reasoning) cannot occur without language or a
    >cultural heritage?

    Paul: I don't equate thought with cognition, it's too broad a word, it
    includes too many other things, some of which I would think are primary some
    of which aren't. Yes, I think reasoning cannot occur without language. You
    see, I don't think, like some people do (not saying you), that a dog that
    lifts its paw because it gets food or a dolphin that jumps through hoops for
    fish is demonstrating something like reason. Nor do I think that when man
    learned how to start fires he had reasoned it out. I think reasoning is a
    culturally learned skill.

       That the "isolated" human being can only experience
    >without thinking? Putting it another way, is it your position that the
    >consciousness or mind of a human being is no more than a reflection of his
    >or her acculturation?

    Paul: I think *intellectual consciousness* is cultural i.e. I think
    abstract symbol manipulation is a learned skill. This is what I refer to as
    mind. I think consciousness as a synonym for experience is primary but I
    wouldn't say "consciousness or mind" as if they are necessarily the same
    thing like you do. Mind can mean almost anything, particularly in
    philosophy, so it isn't a good word unless you define it clearly and not
    just assume that everyone uses it in the same way. I also struggle with
    what is consistently meant by consciousness.

    >If it is your belief that the individual contributes nothing of his own to
    >society, how do you explain the intellectual advance of a culture?

    Paul: New intellectual patterns are created by the response of the existing
    static patterns of an individual human being to DQ. That is how cultures
    advance intellectually. Or as Pirsig puts it in SODV ("Conceptually
    Unknown" is a word he suggests as another term for DQ)

    "I think science generally agrees that there is something that has to enter
    into experiments other than the measuring instruments, and I think science
    would agree that "Conceptually Unknown" is an acceptable name for it. What
    science might not agree on is that this Conceptually Unknown is aesthetic.
    But if the Conceptually Unknown were not aesthetic why should the scientific
    community be so attracted to it? If you think about it you will see that
    science would lose all meaning without this attraction to the unknown. A
    good word for the attraction is "curiosity." Without this curiosity there
    would never have been any science. Try to imagine a scientist who has no
    curiosity whatsoever and estimate what his output will be.

    This aesthetic nature of the Conceptually Unknown is a point of connection
    between the sciences and the arts. What relates science to the arts is that
    science explores the Conceptually Unknown in order to develop a theory that
    will cover measurable patterns emerging from the unknown. The arts explore
    the Conceptually Unknown in other ways to create patterns such as music,
    literature, painting, that reveal the Dynamic Quality that produced them.
    This description, I think, is the rational connection between science and
    the arts.

    In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance art was defined as high quality
    endeavor. I have never found a need to add anything to that definition. But
    one of the reasons I have spent so much time in this paper describing the
    personal relationship of Werner Heisenberg and Niels Bohr in the development
    of quantum theory is that although the world views science as a sort of
    plodding, logical, methodical advancement of knowledge, what I saw here were
    two artists in the throes of creative discovery. They were at the cutting
    edge of knowledge plunging into the unknown trying to bring something out of
    that unknown into a static form that would be of value to everyone."

    >I'm not trying to be coy or sarcastic, Paul. It's just that I don't
    >"philosophize" from an anthropological perspective. Hence, I have trouble
    >coming to grips with non-anthropocentric reality theories.

    Paul: No worries, Ham. If I may suggest something to you though? I
    honestly don't think you have read Pirsig very closely and, if I'm right, I
    think you would benefit from doing so, in terms of the discussions you have
    on this site at least. It's not that this site requires everyone to know
    every line in detail but if you are going to "attack" something it is better
    to know what it is you are attacking to avoid wasting your time and effort,
    and the time and effort of others. For example, the idea that the MOQ has
    no place for individuals is, to me, a straw man constructed by you and
    Platt. The fact that you think the intellectual level is described as a
    "big database in the sky" just strikes me as the sort of comment made by
    someone who hasn't read much of Pirsig.

    On that note, I can't understand why Platt, who has read Pirsig closely,
    plays the same game. Platt, you recently said:

    "I think "collective consciousness" is a meaningless abstraction because
    human inhabitants of this world have never been of "one mind""

    And

    "But to say that my unique experiences and intellectual patterns combined
    with yours and that terrorist over there by the camel somehow comprise a
    "collective consciousness" stretches credulity."

    Now you may be talking about my and other people's interpretation of Pirsig
    here and, if so, I personally find it tiresome having to constantly fight
    against a caricature of my position. I've written lengthy replies to you,
    Platt, about where I see the individual in terms of the MOQ and evolution
    and you still come out with statements like this. Either you have a short
    memory or you are being deliberately antagonistic, which is a shame because
    we've had some good discussions in the past.

    Regards

    Paul