Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 22:01:28 GMT

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 11 Feb 2003 09:58:17 -0500:
    'To determine at what level a certain object, artifact or action belongs I
    ask myself, "What is the highest moral pattern I can reasonably
    attribute to it?" If the answer is biological, this will automatically
    include
    the inorganic since the biological is dependent on inorganic patterns.
    Likewise, if the answer is intellectual, the social, biological and
    inorganic patterns are also included because the intellectual pattern is
    dependent on these lower level patterns. So of course a bike is "also an
    inorganic pattern of value" as are all artifacts I can imagine. But what
    distinguishes it as a bike are the intellectual patterns that designed and
    produced it.'

    If your method of attributing a level to a pattern of value allows
    attributing more than one level to the same pattern of value, then always
    choosing the highest one is a way to solve the ambiguity. That leaves the
    question unanswered HOW you attribute (one or more) levels to patterns of
    value. I suggested 'by the way they are held together when understood as
    wholes holding parts'. You disagreed, but didn't give an alternative.

    So according to you all artifacts are intellectual patterns of value because
    they are designed and produced by intellectual patterns of value (except
    artistic artifacts). I would say that all artifacts 'participate in' or 'are
    elements of' intellectual patterns of value (which doesn't contradict their
    participation on lower level patterns of value).

    You quoted Pirsig 14 Sep 2001 13:41:57 -0400 (and quite a few times
    afterwards) as saying:
    'Intellectuals must find biological behavior, no matter what its ethnic
    connection, and limit or destroy destructive biological patterns with
    complete moral ruthlessness, the way a doctor destroys germs, before those
    biological patterns destroy civilization itself.'
    You applied that to terrorism:
    'those who are terrorists and those countries who support and/or tolerate
    terrorists have the moral standing of germs and like germs must be
    deliberately and ruthlessly annihilated by all means at our disposal.'
    If terrorists are biological patterns of values according to you, how would
    you classify artifacts designed and produced by terrorists, say a shoe-bomb?