Re: MD Metaphysics and Pragmatism

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 18:03:05 GMT

    Platt,

    Platt said:
    The problem comes in that 1) the statement ["Everything is
    temporary."] contradicts itself, and 2)
    temporarily we have to act to live, demanding we take one absolute road
    after another. Having made a decision and taken the action, we can't
    take it back and we have to live (or die) with the consequences.

    What connects the temporary theoretical (subjective) world with the
    temporary trying-to-stay-alive (objective) world are values. Some
    thoughts, like some acts, are better than others. That's theoretically and
    objectively permanent.

    Matt:
    The pragmatist's argument is that "Everything is temporary" only seems like
    a contradiction when we try to fit that statement into an old vocabulary
    that contrasts between absolute and relative, subjective and objective.
    When we ditch the old vocabulary, the contradictions disappear.

    Matt