Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 18:47:14 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    >We seem to have different ideas of what an idea is. I'll go along with
    >Pirsig's idea that it "is the collection and manipulation of symbols,
    >created in the brain, that stand for patterns of experience," an ability
    >not evident in bees or sunflowers.

    But do you put all manipulations by the brain in the intellectual level? I
    think ideas that operate within society, that formed society, are social
    ideas. They are personal scale ideas like 'let's stick together' and 'this
    is mine' - monagomy and property - but as actually practiced, not as they
    are thought about. Ideas like 'i'm hungry' or 'i'm horny' are biological
    ideas. Ideas like 'I will bond with that hydrogen atom' are inorganic ideas
    (a speculative notion). Ideas ABOUT society, like 'all people should marry
    so as to create fairness and equality for men and women', or 'the workers
    create the capital' are intellectual ideas. So I maintain that ideas and
    intellectual patterns are not synonymous, it depends on what the idea
    applies to, what scale of pattern it applies to.

    Intellectual patterns MAY have started out as an idea, and we can conceive
    of them as ideas (should we conceive of them at all, which is not necessary
    for them to exist as patterns, we notice and name them afterwards in many
    cases), but they have a life of their own, living on top of the lower levels
    and are ultimately indifferent to them. They live off society like animals
    live on chemical reactions, replicating and evolving according to their own
    patterns. Technology is an intellectual pattern that is now an evolving
    life form or meme that could care less if humans lose their freedom or even
    die off completely, as long as it continues to evolve. It treats humans the
    way we treat natural resources, we are only worried about losing them for
    our own sake, because we want or need them in order to exist or just like
    looking at them. But if they get in our way, we get rid of them. Pirsig
    would say it is absolutely moral for Technology to wipe out humanity, and
    absolutely immoral for humans to arrest Technology, but I vehemently
    disagree. Unless of course Technology is seen as inorganic, but that seems
    like a rationalization. I think it is moral for humans to preserve their
    own dignity and the dignity of their children, because that is what any of
    us would probably do, and morality is what is expected.

    >But drunk or sober, I would be hard pressed to object to the idea that bees
    >and sunflowers are aware, even if they don't know it.

    It all comes down to what we mean by aware, I guess. I don't think
    technology is aware, but I do see it as a replicating and evolving set of
    patterns that adapts as a pattern to changing conditions, so it must be
    aware in some sense. It isn't any one group of people who are aware for it,
    it is aware as a pattern of stuff that the people who work for it aren't
    aware of. But I attribute real dignified "awareness" only to humans and
    dogs, because I am one (woof).

    more coming...
    Johnny