Re: MD Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 16:22:05 GMT

    Mike, now that we've sorted out that you're NOT and atheist ... I am ...

    When you ask
    Are you referring to Popper's falsificationist theory of science? Or
    that induction can never provide certainty?

    I say, yes and yes, and yes to any other theory applied to real life.
    (Choosing a mathematical domain bounded by axioms by design, then
    that's not real life, though I'm not sure all maths is actually as
    arbitrary as that - but let's stick to reality anyway.)

    Relative or not, I maintain that a "scientific" outlook, supending
    disbeliefs, is quite different to a supernatural faith. Leaps of
    "faith" yes, in choosing what to believe (for now), but quite
    different leaps, with and without any Plan B or any safety net.

    Ian