Re: MD The Quality of Genetic Engineering.

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 16:16:01 GMT

    Hi Platt,
    thanks for responding
    >Society attempts to control "wantonly wild reproduction" by a number of
    >patterns including and most importantly marriage and laws pertaining to
    >domestic relations.

    Yes, that's social control and nurturing of biological reproduction, but it
    still is in the hands of the people reproducing. They just have to marry
    first.

    >Human freedom is an intellectual level pattern designed to block the
    >bloody power of the social "Giant." Any power granted to or grabbed by
    >the social pattern of government threatens individual freedom.

    Good, that's the way I see it too. Now, it is a question of how control of
    genetic engineering is percieved - some people will no doubt feel people
    ought to be free to genetically engineer children, or clone themselves,
    while other people will feel that this puts limits human freedom because the
    cloning is done by (and for) the "giant", even if it is not directly done by
    the government but is only allowed or regulated by the government.

    So where do we go from here? I'm afraid the MoQ will put a Technological
    Giant that purports to serve human freedom ahead of a human freedom that is
    more connected to nature and biology and life.

    Johnny