Re: MD Undeniable Facts

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 16:53:25 BST

    Its been awhile since I've denied Platt, so I thought I might relive old
    times today.

    Platt said:
    Unfortunately, postmodern types want us to live in a world of words rather
    than a world of experiencies. To them it's all about language, verbiage
    and spin. I'm with you in asserting as an undeniable fact that "the words
    you receive from me cannot recreate the experience for you." But to pomos,
    your experiences don't count. It's what your group agrees on that's more
    meaningful that your personal experience. If you happen to disagree with
    the group, you're brushed off as "outdated" and "useless."

    Matt:
    Deny, deny, deny, deny, definitely deny. Wow, Platt, I figured you would
    notice that I'm probably in the minority around here. Does that mean I'm
    "outdated." Well, maybe "useless" by your lights.

    Platt said:
    True. But keep in mind that Matt doesn't believe in objective truth.

    Matt:
    Den--wait, true.

    Platt said:
    I don't see a contradiction. A point of view only occurs when the view is
    conceptualized. Prior to concepts (and words expressing those
    concepts) is a world of pure direct experience--the primary "context" if
    you will. As you correctly point out, language is derivative from
    experience. Those who see language as the end all and be all live in a
    second-hand world of "vocabularies" and group identities. They never
    experience the reality which "passeth all understanding" because if they
    admitted to such a reality, their argot world would crumble.

    Matt:
    Right, you don't see a contradiction. That's the exact point. _You_
    shouldn't see a contradiction. I'm the one who should. Just as you can
    say, "if they admitted to such a reality, their argot world would crumble,"
    I can say that if you did accept a few of my positions, like contingency,
    your "argot world would crumble" because it would start to strain the other
    beliefs in your web. But, hey, its your web. Do with it what you
    will. Oh, wait. By your lights, that's a very unpostmodern thing to
    say. I have to remember, we postmoderns are oh so concerned with what
    others think. We weren't the ones ostracized for years by the academic
    community. We suddenly appeared and took it over by our massive strength
    and evil appeal. I've got to start acting more postmodern or I'll get
    kicked out of the club. Okay, I'm new to this, so excuse my awkwardness:
    Platt, your personal experience does not count. You must ... hold on, I
    gotta' look at my notes ... agree with the group. The group is more
    meaningful than you. Never mind that that doesn't make sense. I mean, how
    can something have more meaning than something else? Don't things just
    have "meaning," are all "full of meaning." But wait, I gotta' go with the
    group. So, Platt, you are wrong because the group is right. You are
    outdated and useless and, wait, what's that? How do I know what the group
    thinks? Well, I guess we'll have to take a poll. Because that's what
    postmoderns must do. Take a lot of polls. Else, how would they know?

    Matt