Re: MD mental and neural states

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:01:34 BST

    Hi Scott,

    Returning to this question! You clarified things for me when you said "I
    think there is only full-blown consciousness", ie that it is not something
    which admits of degrees. I don't agree with you on that, but I can see how
    it holds together. Are you saying that, as consciousness exists, it makes no
    sense to think of any reality whatsoever separately from consciousness;
    therefore, put differently, all existence participates in consciousness? If
    so, how do you understand the development of consciousness in human
    development, ie from embryo through childhood to adulthood? Aren't there
    degrees of consciousness there?

    Having said that, I do have sympathy with what you are saying. I
    particularly like your comment "... a rock is word in a language that
    Quality speaks, but we don't understand. We have some knowledge of that
    language's syntax (physics), but none of its semantics." I think that's
    marvellous.

    Cheers
    Sam