Re: MD Undeniable Facts

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 22:27:23 BST

    Dear Johnny, Platt & Sam,

    Johnny wrote 23 Apr 2003 19:47:56 +0000:
    'The whole point of morality is that it is good for patterns to be followed,
    for expectations to be made real. That's the ontological mechanism of
    morality.'

    The point of morality is NOT ONLY that patterns should be followed and
    expectations to be realized, but ALSO that patterns should evolve, should
    'migrate towards DQ' in Pirsig's words. The ontological mechanism of
    morality consists of BOTH latching on static patterns of value AND breaking
    free of those latches to latch again on a higher level.

    As Sam wrote 23 Apr 2003 17:44:29 +0100, we need both SQ and DQ and
    shouldn't fetishise DQ on its own. We shouldn't declare DQ unnecessary
    either, as Johnny seemed to do 22 Apr 2003 16:54:47 +0000:
    'Existing SQ is what creates the desire for a change, and what decides if a
    change is good or not, and therefore defines what is DQ.'
    DQ is indefinable and essential. SQ cannot define both the desire for
    stability of existing patterns and the desire for changing them, for
    progress and evolution.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim