RE: MD Quality events and the levels

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 23:55:15 BST

    Sam, Matt, Phyllis and all:

    Steve said:
    "The issue you are discussing reminds me of Wilber's pre/trans fallacy. It
    is easy to confuse what is
    pre-rational and what is trans-rational, since both are non-rational.

    Sam's not sure: I agree with Matt on the pre-trans question, that "the only
    way to call somebody on
    this fallacy is to already have in mind the "correct" way to differentiate
    pre- from trans-. This
    begs the question over the other person because the entire issue is over how
    to differentiate pre-
    from trans-. Its not a fallacy, just a difference in descriptions and a
    difference in opinion over
    which is the better description." So I think it can be a useful and
    informative distinction to draw
    (it provides clarity when describing a perspective); I just don't think it's
    possible to apply with
    conviction in the majority of cases, and is certainly not, on its own, a
    convincing argument.

    dmb says:
    Its just a difference in opinion, an unconvincing argument and yet useful
    and informative? It appears
    you like to cover your bets, to have your cake and eat it too. I'd agree
    that there is room for discussion
    about what is pre and what is trans, but these things need not be carved in
    stone for there to be such a
    thing as a "pre/trans fallacy". Of course its useful and informative. Of
    course such a distinction should
    appear. We are talking about levels of value and consciousness, among other
    things. Some things come first.
    To invoke the pre/trans fallacy as a valid criticism does not require that
    we all agree about what comes
    before what, it only requires an assertion and an argument that the one so
    charged is confused about it.
    The fallacious one may counter that he is not confused, but he may not
    defend himself by simply insisting
    that it is quite all right to run before you walk, that its ok to go to
    college before kindergarten or that
    fruit comes before the apple blossom. Of course people can be confused about
    such things, and they often do.
    Making distinctions among non-rational things like mythology and mysticism
    can be tricky business and I think
    Wilber's distinction is quite valuable precisely because there has been so
    much confusion about it. As Pirsig
    points out, conventional wisdom can hardly tell the difference between a
    madman and a mystic. Its even worse
    in the popular culture. Men beating drums and reciting poetry together in
    the woods? Maybe there's something
    to that scene, but its far too retro for me. Dressing up like royalty from
    the middle ages and reading tarot
    cards? New Age neo-pagans dressed up like druids at Stonehenge? I could go
    on all day, but you get the idea.
    The point is, many of today's spiritual seekers are far too fond of
    yesteryear. There are lots of people who
    think they are quite hip and on the edge of things, but are actually quite
    reactionary. The most widely known
    image that captures this mistake is the hippie dressed as an American
    Indian, but you're just as likely to find
    this retro-romanticism at right-wing gun shows. Go figure. Its everywhere.

    Sam said:
    Phyllis referred to the distinction between prahna and vijnana knowledge. I
    was just remembering the
    passage in ZMM where Pirsig is talking about Mark Twain and the Mississippi
    (ie the Huckleberry Finn
    story), where the crossing of the river begins as an art, then becomes a
    'technology' - so something
    is lost, but something else is also gained.
    Likewise, Sam said:
    In my view it is possible to reconcile prahna and vijnana knowledge, and I
    think this is what Pirsig
    articulates in ZMM. In other words, just as with the pre/trans discussion,
    it is possible to go
    'through' the discursive, intellectual, analytical processes and retain the
    potential for direct
    awareness. I would say that this latter awareness is richer than the
    original;...

    dmb says:
    I'm with you here, except I see it in the MOQ too. It seems like the
    distinction between the pre-intellectual
    cutting edge of experience on one hand and the conclusion drawn by all our
    perceptual filters on the other. Its
    the difference between dynamic and static. I'd say the two should be
    "balanced" rather than "reconciled", but we're
    basically on the same page there too. What does Pirsig say about it? The
    mystic trys to hold on to the dynamic edge
    of reality, even the ongoing dynamic edge of thought itself? Something very
    much like that. In any case, we can see
    that the dynamic and static work together. As you say, something may be
    lost, but something is also gained and the
    latter is richer than the original. A certain level of mastery of static
    forms is not supposed to lock out the dynamic,
    rather it is supposed to allow a greater level of creativity and freedom
    than could otherwise be achieved.