Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 07:10:45 BST

    Hey Sam,
    First off, I apologize for leaving you hanging on the 'Philosophy and
    Theology' thread from some months back. It went like this: After reading
    your Eudaimonic MoQ essay, I thought that that provided a better background
    for hashing out the issues that developed in the thread. Seeing a great
    deal of potential for improving on the MoQ in your ideas I started tinkering
    with a response to your overall Eudaimonic thesis (the 'review' I once
    alluded to). As I worked on my response, I noted a great deal of harmony
    between the Eudaimonic MoQ and many of Matt Kundert's ideas about Pirsig
    presented in his 'confessions' essay (after reading that I ran out and read
    a book by Rorty and started on a response to that essay as well). Somewhere
    along the way, the two pieces merged and by the end of the summer I'm hoping
    to offer up my thoughts on the whole thing to the forum (heck, I've been
    here for like 5 years and have never bothered to post an essay, it think
    it's about time). Thanks for being patient (patience is a virtue you know
    :-). Now then....

    SAM
    > My dissatisfaction with how the MoQ describes marriage (at least as I
    experience it) was indeed the
    > original seed for my eudaimonic thesis. See my post from January 2002:
    > http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/0201/0062.html
    >
    > I think there is potential in the correspondence - eros = biological level
    love, agape = social
    > level love, amor = fourth level love. I'll think about that some more, but
    it seems good (and
    > eudaimonic!). Just as the higher levels are built upon the lower
    elsewhere, it seems to me that you
    > can only have amor if the lower levels are also satisfied, which means,
    amongst other things, that
    > adultery (to my mind) cannot be amor (although consider also the 'sex,
    lies and videotape' example I
    > asked Paul about).

    RICK
    It would seem to me that if our equation of the 3 loves to the upper 3
    levels is right, then there are several conclusions we can draw about love
    and marriage. Adulterous sex is immoral because it's putting a biological
    pattern of values (eros) over a social one (agape). But more interesting is
    that it would seem putting agape over amor is equally immoral. That is,
    staying socially married to one, while another is your true amor, is also
    immoral. We might be seeing two different 'adulterous' patterns here. An
    immoral 'biological adultery' founded in sex and another kind of adultery
    which maybe we can call something like "emotional cheating" which is not
    itself immoral, but renders the pre-existing marriage immoral because it's
    reduced to a social pattern standing in the way of the higher species of
    love. [I couldn't find the 'sex, lies, and videotape' example in the
    archives so I can't comment on that.]

    SAM
    > In terms of the desire to see a debate focussing on actualities, rather
    than theory, this seems like
    > a good place. (Although I don't foresee any agreement being found - I
    can't imagine any logically
    > compelling argument that would change someone's mind on this.) I think the
    debate sharpens on this
    > question: what has more value - a person or an idea? I would say a person,
    but the Pirsig of Lila
    > says an idea, or - to be more precise - he defines a person this way: "A
    human being is a collection
    > of ideas", which I think is nonsense. (I would say a human being is a
    pattern of values, composed of
    > each level, not just level 4 - although that is where I would locate
    something important). So
    > Pirsig's position is that the value of a human being is derivative - a
    human being is of value in so
    > far as they are a source of ideas. In Kant's terms, human beings have
    value as means rather than
    > ends. And so on. I think I've waffled on enough about this.

    RICK
    In the post on marriage which you credit as the seed of the Eudiamonic
    thesis, you refer to the discussions about describing the Intellectual level
    in terms of the generation of new ideas. I myself was one of those
    tinkering with such a theory at the time. I had written an essay (which I
    never bothered to post) casting the 4th level as a pragmatic 'marketplace of
    ideas'. My intent was to extend the marketplace metaphor and compare
    Pirsig's thoughts about human rights being based on the protection of ideas
    to an 'antitrust' code which protects competition in the marketplace. In
    the end of the essay, I mused about the uncomfortable feeling the MoQ gave
    me by asserting that human beings were only worth protecting because they
    were sources of ideas. Although I was (and still am) fond of the
    marketplace theory as a tool for interpreting Pirsig's vision of the 4th
    level, I set out in search of a more human centered theory. Matt's essay
    was big piece, your essay was another. Waffle on all you'd like my friend.

    SAM
    > BTW the quotes from Campbell were depressing, and display a mind-numbing
    conformity to conventional
    > thinking. To say (of personal love) that "That's completely contrary to
    everything the Church stood
    > for. It's a personal, individual experience, and I think it's the
    essential thing that's great
    > about the West and that makes it different from all other traditions I
    know" simply displays
    > astonishing historical ignorance. Where does he think the language for the
    troubadour tradition came
    > from, if not from the 'Song of Solomon' and all the contemporaneous
    commentaries on it? Campbell
    > seems blithely unaware that Bernard of Clairvaux was the generation before
    Chretien de Troyes, and
    > that the troubadours adapted religious language for their purposes in just
    the same way that modern
    > pop songs are derived from religious singing. (If you're interested, see
    'The discovery of the
    > individual, 1050 - 1200", by Colin Morris). Grrrr!!

    RICK
    I'll put Morris on my reading list. As for Campbell, first off, I think the
    "church" to which he is saying amor was contrary to was the "corrupt"
    medieval church against which the Troubadours were rebelling. Moreover, I
    think the unique tradition Campbell is referring to is not merely 'personal
    love' but is 'person-to-person love' (as he explains in the paragraph
    immediately preceding the quote you snipped). That is, while the
    Troubadours, as you say, may have 'adapted religious language for their
    purposes', their purposes were different than those of the religious singers
    from whom they coped the language. That is, the troubadours weren't singing
    about personal love for god, they were singing about personal love (amor)
    for other individuals... something that does not turn up in the lyric for
    the 'song of solomon' as far as I can tell.

    take care
    rick

    "I love to doubt as well as know." - Dante