MD Racism in the forum.

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 21:07:35 BST

    Dear All,
    I wish to state that in my view, Mr. Pirsig is in no sense racist.
    His ideas have been ignored and modified by many people, most notably
    Skutvik. In Skutvik's very personal view of the Metaphysics of Quality, the
    intellectual level is specifically differentiated experience and reason. To use his
    precise words:

    "the intellectual LEVEL emerged with the Greeks and is the S/O divide or
    reason"

    This position is not that of Mr. Pirsig.
    The assertion states that Chinese and Indian intellect did not exist until it
    was introduced from the West. This view is not even held by Western
    philosophers. It is certainly not held by squonk, Paul, or Mr. Pirsig:

    'For purposes of MOQ precision, let's say that the
    intellectual level is the same as mind. It is the
    collection and manipulation of symbols, created in the
    brain, that stand for patterns of experience.' Lila's
    Child

    PIRSIG: "It is important for an understanding of the
    MOQ to see that although 'common sense' dictates that
    inorganic nature came first, actually 'common sense'
    which is a set of ideas, has to come first. This
    'common sense' is arrived at through a web of socially
    approved evaluations of various alternatives. The key
    term here is 'evaluation,' i.e. quality decisions. The
    fundamental reality is not the common sense or the
    objects and laws approved of by common sense but the
    approval itself and the quality that leads to it."
    Lila's Child Note 97

    Chinese and Indian intellectual history is harmonised with western
    intellectual history by the Metaphysics of Quality. Chinese intellectual history of over
    4,000 years has less differentiation between subjects and objects, and it has
    a variation of logic based upon the meaning of words rather than Pythagorean
    derived numerical harmony. Indian intellectual thought is embedded in
    apparently superfluous (to Western minds) religious and social custom, which in
    essence shares a common root with Chinese intellectual history far beyond 4,000
    years.

    The correct Metaphysics of Quality unifies all intellectual patterns, and
    fully recognises the Quality of Chinese and Indian intellectual history. In fact,
    the correct Metaphysics of Quality draws heavily on Asian intellectual
    tradition, emphasising harmony.

    I do not wish to suggest that Skutvik knowingly asserts racist doctrine. I
    feel his views are largely a matter of his own cultural blind spot, and a very
    large degree of socially approved evaluations. Those who support him contribute
    to his evaluations. That is quite understandable and easily overcome by
    openness of thought and a willingness to explore ideas beyond one's own limited
    sphere.
    But Skutvik's insistence upon a racist assertion has been a considerably long
    one, and goes as far as his belief that his own very personal view of the
    Metaphysics of Quality is the 'proper' Metaphysics of Quality. Thus, the proper
    view for Skutvik is one that has deep racial and divisive undertones which
    completely deny intellectual history to Asians.

    Failure to address this issue may be very damaging to our Chinese and Indian
    friends, not to mention many other excellent intellectual traditions of the
    World. We also suffer a tremendous and staggering loss if we ignore our friends
    intellectual history. That was a motivation of F.S.C Northrop, and it has
    arguably ripened in the excellent work of Mr. Pirsig.
    squonk

    Where standards differ there will be opposition.
    But how can the standards of the World be unified?
    Mo-ti.