RE: MD Role of imagination with beauty

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 20:02:30 BST

    Platt, Matt, Rick and all:

    Rick wrote:
    ....... Sometimes art is better when it conforms to our expectations (ie.
    "that dialogue sounded so real, that's just how I'd expect real people to
    talk"). On the other hand, we usually walk away disappointed when an
    artistic creation completely conforms to our expectations (ie. "that movie
    was so predictable, there wasn't one twist I didn't expect". It's about a
    balance of static and dynamic elements, a harmony of the expected and the
    unexpected.

    dmb says:
    I'd take it even further. The "aesthetic pleasure", says our unknown author,
    is "a major clue to the quality of the revelation". And I'm glad the writer
    used the word "revelation" because I think what we're talking about here is,
    for lack of a better word, spirituality. See, its not just that we are
    pleasantly surprized by new twists on old formulas, it is that we
    intuitively perceive the harmony between the rendered static form and the
    cosmic order of things. Its true that all static forms are a product of this
    same cosmic order, but as they grow stale and then obsolete that original
    meaning is lost. The creative person's job, then, is to shatter the old
    forms and render the the same "truth" in new forms, ones that refresh the
    quality of the revelation. (That's why Pirsig refers to the contrarians as
    agents of moral regeneration.) Not that every creative work is supposed to
    be some great cosmological depiction, but only that it finds some small
    corner to illuminate or otherwise corresponds to it. Religious people often
    talk about "God's will" and if one looks past all the nonsense that goes
    along with that, I think we can see that they are talking about this same
    harmony or correspondence to the cosmic order. This is usually in reference
    to personal behavior rather than artistic or intellectual creations, but
    still...

    Matt wrote:
    Dynamic Quality is the unexpected burst of beauty, though according to
    convention it shouldn't be there. And because it shouldn't be there
    according to convention, we can't explain other than in retrospection, a
    post hoc rationalization. This ad hoc explanation is tuned to the
    particular instance of Dynamic Quality. What is a dead end is if we try to
    go transcendental and try and set an explanation of what all breaks with
    convention will look like. That's what I take the hypostatization of
    History to be: an attempt to outflank DQ and call it all convention, static
    patterns. That's why DQ is undefined. It only unfolds in history, leaving
    behind it waves of static patterns.

    dmb says:
    Right. I'm mostly with you here and I agree with your criticism of Marx too.
    And may I say how refreshing it is to see you discussing the MOQ. You didn't
    even mention Rorty. Yahooo! But seriously,... I'd only extend what you've
    said in the same way I took Rick's comments further, and then I'd agree even
    more.

    Thanks,
    dmb