MD Role of imagination with beauty

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 16:51:38 BST

    Hi Erin, Matt, Squonk, All:

    Erin
    >Or would anyone care to suggest a
    > statement/quote/thoughts on the relationship/role of imagination with
    > beauty?

    If you're referring to creative imagination, the following may be relevant
    to your question (substituting imagination for intuition):

    "One of the central emotions of intuition and a major clue to the quality
    of the revelation is a sense of esthetic pleasure. Something in true
    intuition elicits the same response as a painting, a song, or the
    resolution of a well-told tale. It has a certain symmetry and coherence, a
    sense of balance and inevitability. When an idea doesn't fit it is like a
    dab of the wrong color on a painting or the wrong dialogue in a play. It
    projects dissonance. When people are asked how they can distinguish the
    exceptional intuition from the mediocre, it is beauty that comes up
    constantly." (Author unknown to me)

    Not only would this apply to intuition and creative imagination but to
    intellectual patterns in general with those engendering esthetic pleasure
    being of higher quality than those that don't. Pirsig refers to this
    several times as did Matt and I in our most recent conversation and Squonk
    repeatedly. My guess is that anyone who likes the MOQ is likely to respond
    to beauty more than the average person. If this be elitism, make the most
    of it.

    Platt