RE: MD Value of thinking

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 15:52:30 BST

    Hi Scott

    Scott:
    As in, in the MOQ, Quality is the source of everything. This is an
    immaterial source of such material things as brains. In my view, one
    could
    redo the MOQ giving Intelligence (or, as Coleridge does, Reason, or, as
    John
    the Evangelist does, the Logos) as the source of everything. Not there
    are
    two conflicting sources, but at that rarified level, Quality is
    Intelligence
    is Love is Wisdom, etc.

    Paul:
    So your definition of the intellectual level is necessarily distinct
    from "intelligence" which is the groundstuff of reality? A Metaphysics
    of Intelligence?

    Scott:
    So my statement is merely to say that the material comes from the
    immaterial, and the immaterial is "of the same nature" as our mind.

    Paul:
    This seems to lead to the philosophy of idealism. In the MOQ, and in the
    Mahayanistic Buddhism of Nagarjuna, both the "material" and the
    "immaterial" are further reduced to something fundamental to both and
    without conceptual distinction. As I recall Barfield, he doesn't make
    the step into metaphysics (he isn't concerned with the fundamental
    nature of reality) but is content with an explanation of consciousness
    and perception. Have you extended Barfield's thought into a metaphysics?

    Scott:
    To be
    physical beings we need a brain to coordinate all the subatomic (and
    other
    immaterial) goings-on into a nice 4-dimensional spacetime picture that
    we
    call "physical reality". So Intelligence put one together.

    Paul:
    I would say that the intellectual level put one together based on a
    pre-intellectual aesthetic evaluation of alternatives.

    Scott:
    As always,
    consider this kind of talk mythical. For some philosophical
    justification,
    consider that everything that we sense is produced by our minds (not
    that
    there isn't anything independent of our selves, but that its form,
    color,
    etc. are so produced. We don't see photons or hear air vibrations,
    etc.).
    The "material" is usually taken to be "sense-perceptible", and the
    "sense-perceptible" is a mental creation, so what I am saying is just
    drawing out the consequences.

    Paul:
    Yes, inorganic nature is actually postulated and confirmed by a
    correspondence to the deduced consequences of a hypothesis, but I would
    say that sensation is empirical and immediately apprehended, but of an
    aesthetic nature, that is, value differentiates the experience, not
    "things-in-themselves".

    Scott:
    I erred in saying "SOM viewpoint", and should have said "S/O viewpoint".

    Paul:
    Not aimed at your or anyone in particular but I think the use of "S/O"
    is ambiguous and used too freely. It can mean at least three things:

    1. Metaphysical "subject-object" distinction

    2. Epistemological "subjective vs objective" distinction

    3. I/Other distinction

    You
    said: " I think the basic value of thinking is the conceptual
    organisation
    and explanation of experience." You are setting something labelled
    "experience" against its "conceptual organization and explanation".

    Paul:
    The something labelled "experience" is Dynamic Quality, the conceptual
    organization and explanation becomes static quality. Part of that
    explanation is the postulated "object" (inorganic-biological) and
    postulated "self" (social-intellectual).

    Scott:
    That
    language/reality distinction is what I was referring to as being an S/O
    viewpoint. I would also say it is unavoidable unless and until we evolve
    further.

    Paul:
    That's 4 things "S/O" can mean!

    Scott:
    Yes. It is also in an S/O form. I don't disagree with the idea that
    there
    are explanations, nor that an explanation cannot be a creation. Only
    with
    the notion that explanations can escape S/O thinking.

    Paul:
    But not a S/O metaphysical form? I think that the value of thinking
    may be " / ", that is "the value of differentiation".

    Paul previously:
    > With no conceptual organisation of experience there are no
    explanations,
    > with no explanations there is no prediction, with no prediction there
    is
    > no science, with no science there is no technology, with no technology
    > there is no internet, with no internet there is no on-line discussion
    > group to discuss the MOQ, with no on-line discussion group we wouldn't
    > be having this discussion about what the value of the intellectual
    level
    > is.
    >
    > My experience right now is explained very well by saying that we are
    > having this discussion. I guess the question is - are "concepts" and
    > "ideas" a side effect of "creativity for its own sake"? Is this all an
    > illusory consequence of creativity?

    Scott:
    All true. But also all S/O.

    Paul:
    Again, please clarify the use of S/O.

    Scott:
    Yes, Intelligence (see above -- replace it with
    Quality if desired) has evolved us to the point where most all our
    experience and most all our intellect is in S/O form, and so that is the
    form for our creativity. We can -- thanks to thinkers like Pirsig,
    Barfield,
    Coleridge and others -- figure out that this S/O form is not basic, but
    it
    takes something more than our S/O thinking to move beyond it.

    Paul:
    Although Pirsig's point was that S/O thinking can be transcended even by
    fixing a motorcycle in the "right way".

    Scott:
    What SOM says
    is that the concepts and ideas derive -- are abstractions -- from what
    the
    concepts and ideas are about.

    Paul:
    Materialism says that, idealism agrees with what you say below.

    Scott:
    What I (following Barfield following Coleridge
    following...Plato, with modifications) am suggesting is that some
    rarified
    version of those concepts and ideas creates the experience in the first
    place.

    Paul:
    The MOQ says that aesthetic experience creates ideas which create
    explanations of experience, which includes things like "objects".

    Regarding Barfield, I think "figuration" corresponds with the basic
    function of the intellectual level. How do you see it?

    Cheers

    Paul