RE: MD A metaphysics

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 04:03:06 BST

    Michael and all MOQers:

    Michael wrote:
         I guess what I am asking for is clarification on how one does or
    doesn't believe in metaphysics. I can see it as a belief system, that one
    may not believe in metaphysics because they have already defined for
    themselves that everything around them is in fact real or not real, and
    therefore requires no further thought. On the other hand it seems that the
    literal term for metaphysics lays on a lower level, lower then belief, if
    that makes sense to anyone. It does indeed exist even if only one person is

    asking "what is real?". So how do can you not believe in metaphysics?

    dmb says:
    Welcome to the nut house. Matt is the resident Rorty fan and since Rorty
    seems to reject not only metaphysics, but also philosophy in general, Matt
    is the one to answer. Personally, I don't get it. It seems like a rejection
    of Western culture itself. I think only the most disappointed and embittered
    idealist - or perhaps a complete idiot - could reject so much. Also, I think
    you're on to something here. His rejection does seem to stem from a naive
    and reductionist materialism. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful here. I'm
    puzzled too.