RE: MD myths and symbols

From: skutvik@online.no
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 08:13:19 BST

    Platt, Paul and People

    13 Aug. Platt said:
    > This quote below is extremely important to understand the
    > relationship between society and intellect:

    ...citing Pirsig in Lila's Child:

        "It is important for an understanding of the MOQ to see that
        although 'common sense' dictates that inorganic nature came
        first, actually 'common sense' which is A SET OF IDEAS, has
        to come first. This 'common sense' is arrived at through a web
        of SOCIALLY APPROVED EVALUATIONS of various
        alternatives. The key term here is 'evaluation', i.e. quality
        decisions. The fundamental reality is not the common sense
        or the objects and laws approved of by common sense but the
        approval itself and the quality that leads to it." Lila's Child Note
        97

    This is almost identical to the quote Rick that confronted me with
    (from a letter to Anthony McWatt): My brackets.

        And in this highest quality intellectual pattern (SOM), external
        objects (matter) appear historically before intellectual (mind)
        patterns... But this highest quality intellectual pattern itself
        (SOM) comes before the external world, not after, as is
        commonly presumed by the materialist.".

    Starting from the thinking-defined-intellect premise the first quote
    may look patent ...as long as it lasts: The point about inorganic
    nature came first as a "set of ideas" seems OK, but isn't the notion
    that the "common sense" were arrived at from "socially approved
    evaluations ..." ALSO a set of ideas? In fact when intellect is defined
    as thinking EVERYTHING dissolves into "sets of ideas" - even DQ
    itself! Figments of our mind! Exactly as in SOM's idealism. I think
    Paul spotted these incongruities, as he hurried on to safer ground. (I
    omit his part because it doesn't count in this context.)

    From the last quote: "In this highest ....... etc." - which is SOM -
    external objects - which is matter - appear before mind! This is only
    the materialist half of SOM, the idealist part says the opposite, exactly
    what the annotating Pirsig says, but NOT what the MOQ of ZMM and
    (most of) LILA says. But once the disastrous "idea/mind/thinking"
    definition of intellect is made it all goes haywire. Sam said that Pirsig
    has moved from a radical to a conservative, but can the MOQ endure
    any such movement without being re-swallowed by SOM?

    Not IMO.
    Bo

    PS
    When Matt struck down on Platt I hoped it was for these reasons, but
    he som other axe to grind ;-)