Re: MD A metaphysics

From: james marshall (edgarj@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 12:10:51 BST

     Good morning Michael and all,

    I consider MOQ as a tool to use for understanding rather than something to
    believe in. I am currently investigating a freedom of speech case up here
    in British Columbia. MOQ seems to help me sniff the moving cheese with an
    expanded olfactory capability.

    Deepthroat apparently said to Bob Woodward, "Look at the overall." The
    overall in MOQ is evolution. Or in Heraclitic terms, "how things change." I
    find a lot of Persig in the Fragments of Heraclitus. His idea of fire as
    the primary stuff makes a lot of sense to me. Consider Pirsig's references
    to updrafts and downdrafts in the presence of hot and cold.
    Overdetermination leading to the appearance of the opposite. That sort of
    thing.

    I am intrigued by Pirsig's ubiquitous references to wind, water, lightning -
    the elements. The inorganic. Uh, correct me if I am a naive newbie here,
    but in the "overall" hasn't the human animal failed to tame the inorganic?
    And in the MOQ, isn't that immoral? Is there a "yeah but" factor at work
    here? A subtle joke, perhaps? Anyone care to scratch my itch?

    I can hardly wait to reread "The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment" through
    the lens of MOQ. Has anyone done this? It might be profitable.

    As Heraclitus would say: Have an identical day.

    Jim